Talk

Advanced search

Turkey in July with a baby - where to?

(5 Posts)
Umnitsa Mon 06-Jun-11 08:46:18

We are going to a friends' wedding in Istanbul in mid-July and would like to extend the trip by a week to have a lazy holiday at a resort or in a villa.

Neither of us has been to Turkey so we do not have any idea what part of the country would be most suitable for our needs.

We will be traveling with a ten-month-old DD, so no cultural pursuits or complex transfers.

Ideally, somewhere that is not scorching hot (if it is possible at all!)

Proximity to sea is not essential as long as there is a swimming pool.

We are flying out of London. If possible, we would like to have an open jaw ticket, arriving in Istanbul, then taking a domestic airline to our resort destination and departing from that resort destination (unless it massively increases ticket price).

I have always had a pleasant delusion that airfare to Turkey is fairly inexpensive, but having just checked flights to Istanbul I am now traumatised by the quote (starting at £700 for our dates). Which means that my budget for a week's family holiday (2 adults + infant) is £600-£700 (including internal flights).

Is it doable? I've also posted on TripAdvisor but have not had much response.

Any insights and recommendations will be much appreciated.

LadyWithNoManors Mon 06-Jun-11 08:50:48

Turkey will be unbearably hot in July for a 10 month old.

Nefret Mon 06-Jun-11 11:44:51

Flights to turkey are very expensive now but luckily internal flights are still pretty cheap.

Well you could get in internal flight down to Bodrum and rent a villa in one of the resorts on the Bodrum Peninsula, we rented a lovely villa last year near Yalikavak and it cost about £400 each week. Otherwise you could stay at a nice apartment in somewhere like Bitez, you would then pay about £200 for accomodation.

The Bodrum Peninsula is lovely, I used to live there and we still go back for our holidays. The resorts are all fairly close to the airport so no difficult transers are involved.

Unfortunately mid-July is going to be very hot but at least if you are by the sea you should get a cooling breeze some of the time.

Umnitsa Mon 06-Jun-11 13:58:17

LadyWithNoManors - that's what I fear as well!

Nefret- thank you for the suggestion, I will check Bodrum now!

Nefret Mon 06-Jun-11 17:55:53

I have been in Turkey in July with both my babies and although it was hot they were both fine. As long as you keep your baby out of the sun during the hot part of the day and get somewhere with air conditioning you will be ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: