Talk

Advanced search

ONLY 15KG luggage x4.... is it enough?

(25 Posts)
Wolfgirl Sun 05-Jun-11 14:03:59

per person, for 2 weeks? Off to Corfu end of July; we like to take Lilo's, snorkelling stuff etc. Is 15kg enough? Blimming airlines, you have to pay EXTRA for E V E R Y T H I N G!!!

I expect if I change my mind, and want to up 2 suitcases to 20kg, I will get charged not only the extra weight, but an admin charge too.

Booked via Cosmos, flying with Monarch.

boxoftricks Sun 05-Jun-11 14:23:32

snorkel stuff tends to be quite cheap in foreign supermarkets etc, and definately lilos! Can you not buy some stuff out there? and then leave it/ throw/ give to another family? dont bring shampoo with you, buy it,

cat64 Sun 05-Jun-11 14:31:57

Message withdrawn

Wolfgirl Sun 05-Jun-11 15:00:10

I need help with a list, I think. I'm a sucker for clean clothes every day, more so for the kids, cos they get so dirty - am talking about evenings... day time I'm happy for them to loaf around in swim stuff n crocs. But with there being no washing machine, it will be a toughy for me.

I think there might be a laundrette where I'm going, so push comes to shove, I could do a mid holiday wash.

I will leave a lot at home this year, and try and make a big cut back. Oh yes, also have 5kg's each as hand luggage so that will help.

Thanks ladies, any lists you can think of.... bear necessaties... would be great. smile

nancydrewfoundaclue Sun 05-Jun-11 15:06:16

Very ambitious - I rarely, if ever, come in under 15kg just for myself.

If you think an average washing machine holds 5kg of clothes that is only three loads of washing before you even consider the weight of your case and any toiletries.

Wolfgirl Sun 05-Jun-11 15:16:13

oh yeah.... of course. The extra weight of the suitcase will bring it down. I don't think I have much option than to at least up the load of two cases.

Still need help with a list if poss smile

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 06-Jun-11 09:42:17

You shouldn't need to take towels, so that will cut down a bit. Agree with buying lilos and snorkels etc at the resort too.
Take some handwash stuff with you, or buy it at a supermarket if you must have clean clothes every day. Just take four or five pairs of knickers and two bras for you.

pickcherries Mon 06-Jun-11 11:03:19

how old are your lo's?

Lizcat Mon 06-Jun-11 13:42:36

It's going to be hot you are not going to need much, Wear heaviest shoes and clothes to go. DH, myself and DD travelled on a single 20kg suitcase for two weeks last year. I just ask myself am I really going to wear it.

Wolfgirl Mon 06-Jun-11 15:33:25

DD is 5 yrs; DS 7 yrs - but mahoooosive - and size of 10-11yr old (awwrrr... bless); My sister just got back from Athens, and she said she only wore a fraction of stuff packed. I think we forget... that that is what we do LOL. I do tend to stay in same shorts\skirt for a good few days at a time.

Yes... I can do this grin

VivaLeBeaver Mon 06-Jun-11 18:10:20

Buy toiletries there.

I can go away for a week at about 10kg no problem now i have a kindle

Went to Africa for a month with 20kg and that included a massive textbook and some medical eqipment. You can wash underwear out in the sink and dry overnight.

bluebobbin Mon 06-Jun-11 18:18:21

I would have thought it was way more than enough. We only go for a week and I reckon we use about 15kg between the entire family of 4.

silverfrog Mon 06-Jun-11 18:27:31

you can do this.

we did nearly 3 weeks in USA with only hand luggage and 1xsuitcase weighing about 15kg (was the week after T5 opened - we didn't want to risk losing luggage grin)

you need to work out if there is def a washing machine or not, though.

second no toiletries etc - buy basics when you get there.
if you have to take towels, think laterally - maybe buy a towelling hoodie for dc, so at least would double a stheir jumper for evenings too?

Wolfgirl Mon 06-Jun-11 20:13:38

bluebobbin - really? shock wow! right then, I live at number........ grin you can come and pack for me, sort me out Mrs!

Gonna pack: x4 large beach towels
5 pairs of pants each
3 bikini's for DD
3 for me
3 trunks for DS
2 trunks for DH
1 pair flip flops for me; 2 pairs birkies for me and wear trainers out there;

Oooh, won't bore you all... but I best get thinking and writing it all down. I have a tiny iPad equivalent, so will download tunes and take mini speakers - rather mahoooosive big thing I normally take.

We don't do much reading, as rarely get to sit my derrier down for more than 10 mins before up again sorting DC's out.

Hey ho!

bluebobbin Mon 06-Jun-11 21:12:10

I don't take beach towels.

You can cut down your shoes - like you say, wear the trainers - but why would you need 2 pairs birkies? 1 pair surely? I wear trainers and take only one other pair of footwear.

Take very few clothes - if get them wet, dry them on balcony.

Agree with suggestion to buy lilo out there. Our hotel had a swap box and we took one from there, used it and returned it when we left.

When you return, if you fear your bags are overweight, ditch stuff like leftover suncream (again this went in the swap box), anything like that.

I also take toweling hoodies like someone suggested above.

Luggage is a total PITA - I try to take as little as possible.

piratecat Mon 06-Jun-11 21:20:46

15kg per person is enough! is that handluggage or per case in the hold.

gregssausageroll Tue 07-Jun-11 14:01:31

Buy all your toilettries when you arrive. I never take that guff with me with the exception of my toothbrush and toothpaste. You get colgate, pantene, dove and branded names throughout Europe.

One pair of shoes will do you.

Why 3 bikinis? 2 max

Make sure your bags are light. Bin any heavy cases and get roll along bags from ebay. We boughts ours there a few years ago and they weigh 1.5 kilos each against our old cases that were 6!

Wolfgirl Tue 07-Jun-11 14:49:33

piratecat - 15kg per suitcase, plus 5kg per person hand luggage. grin

silverfrog Tue 07-Jun-11 14:59:07

shock

4 pairs of footwear for 2 weeks?

wear trainers, take one pair flipflops/birkies.

piratecat Tue 07-Jun-11 16:20:20

I wouldn't even wear trainers. They get hot on the plane, and you won't want to wear them home. Wear birkies. As soon as you get in the airport this side it doesn't matter what the weather here is doing. If it's raining when you get back to the uk, well who cares!

gregssausageroll's idea of the most lightweight bags is good, once you've paid out and got them you've got them for the future.

CroissantNeuf Tue 07-Jun-11 16:24:18

Definitely doable.

We did 10 days in Tenerife with 4x hand luggage and only 1x suitcase for 2 adults and 2 children (budget airline too so weight limit was minimal and very strict)

gregssausageroll Tue 07-Jun-11 18:11:18

and roll your clothes, don't lay them flat.

Wolfgirl Tue 07-Jun-11 19:07:13

So, what about dressing up - going out for din dins at night time? do you just wear the same ole outfits night after night?

durty lille scally wags you all are! grin

Wolfgirl Tue 07-Jun-11 19:11:00

what are these lightweight bags then gregssausageroll - any links \ pics?

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Wed 08-Jun-11 20:56:14

We must be brilliant packers - we've done a fortnight for a family of four on just two 15kg cases before and that was including 16 novels!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: