Talk

Advanced search

mallorca or costa del sol?

(9 Posts)
avaj Sat 04-Jun-11 20:30:40

We are planning our first family holiday abroad, and are looking at villas.
I have seen some that look nice in Puerto Pollensa and Cala D'or. I have also seen a nice one in San Pedro - Costa Del S'ol.
I don't really have any idea what these resorts are like, and would really appreciate some advice/feedback!
There will be 8 adults, 12yr old, 6yr old and 3 yr old.
Personally I love quieter places with character, no high rise buildings and great places to eat, but there will have to be enough to entertain a 12 year old, and also good beaches etc for wee ones.
Please help!

Putthatbookdown Sat 04-Jun-11 23:09:49

Depends when you are going - if high season then Majorca likely to be packed. Costa del Sol will enable you to perhaps do some sightseeing as it is on the mainland . However, you might need a car for the Costa del Sol one. I know quieter places in these locations but they do not unfortunately take children!!!

avaj Sun 05-Jun-11 14:06:44

Thanks.
We will have to go during summer school holidays, probably the first week in Juky, so I think that is before English schools break up.
I'd rather not go somewhere really busy, but obviously we will need enough going on to occupy a 12 year old!
Any ideas would be great.
The main criteria is a short flight from Scotland - thanks!

pinkhebe Sun 05-Jun-11 14:12:27

we had a villa in Neja, costa del sol. It was lovely, we had the pool which entertained the kids, lovely restaurants, for adults. There are the caves which are also good.

There is lots going on in the evenings, buskers and street artists etc. and the best bit according to my 9 yr old was the shop which sold 40 different flavours of ice cream!

The nice thing about it was that it was full of spanish people grin

avaj Sun 05-Jun-11 21:20:05

Oh, that sounds nice Pinkhebe! Always a good sign when the locals go themselves. Really don't fancy somewhere with lots of 'British Bars'.
I think we are going to be limited by the fact that we need a 6 bed villa, but I have seen a few online.

avaj Sun 05-Jun-11 21:21:36

Forgot to ask - did you need a car in Nerja, or could you walk to beach, restaurants etc...

pinkhebe Sun 05-Jun-11 21:52:12

We could walk to the beach, restaurants etc, but you'd need a car if you wanted to visit the caves (we used a british company, les aggro grin who were around the corner and fab) We had a 3 bed villa which also had a 2 bed annex

pinkhebe Sun 05-Jun-11 21:53:50

villa cristina we stayed here both times we've been

Clare25 Mon 06-Jun-11 14:47:23

I'd go for Majorca, though over the two I'd go for Menorca.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now