Talk

Advanced search

Travelling through Europe by rail

(9 Posts)
Buddhastic Sat 04-Jun-11 15:07:24

Can anyone help me find reasonable priced tickets to travel to more than one country in Europe by rail. The prices I am coming up with online are extortionate. Am I missing a deal or website?

Putthatbookdown Sat 04-Jun-11 17:22:27

We found the same . You could try some of the student travel sites. Age can be a factor for any of the rail passes : younger the cheaper, We decided on flights in the end much cheaper but of course you see less : rail travel may not be the same as before :high speed tracks etc so you see less. Where did you want to travel from/to?

ivykaty44 Sat 04-Jun-11 17:24:25

try man in seat 66 website he has train advise for all over the world grin

notcitrus Sat 04-Jun-11 18:09:28

It's seat 61 - www.seat61.com.
Highly recommended.

The Deutsche Bahn website has an English version which may be what you need.
Where do you want to go?

orienteerer Sat 04-Jun-11 19:24:38

Seat 61

stump Sat 04-Jun-11 22:09:56

try actually calling rail europe - we recently travelled from London to Tuscany and back via switzerland and the quote I got over the phone was cheaper than on the net....still more expensive than flying but it was a great experience and the kids loved it!!!

Buddhastic Sun 05-Jun-11 05:58:10

We are looking to go from Amsterdam to Paris then Paris to Munich then Munich to Prague then to Berlin and back to Amsterdam. Our dd's are 12 and 13 so old enough for it to be an adventure but did think it would be cheaper than car hire. Thanks for your responses will have a look at that website.

sinclair Sun 05-Jun-11 17:52:34

You can buy a rail pass for Europe other than UK - and if gives you half price on Eurostar i think. They last 10 days, we did it in summer 07, 10 days in S of Europe then a week in France with extended family, then another 10 days. Within the 10 days you can travel on 5 of them but the overnight trains count as the next day (from memory). Just rereading and realise you may not be in UK in which case not sure how pass works.

Second recommendations for seat 61 and bahn.de, both very useful.

Putthatbookdown Mon 06-Jun-11 06:54:41

Have a look at the Interrail website too but you need to make it clear you are not resident in the UK,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now