Talk

Advanced search

Toddler gets out of car seat straps - any advice?

(4 Posts)
Oblyx Fri 03-Jun-11 12:02:32

My 1.5yo wriggles his arms out of his car seat straps pretty much as soon as the car starts. It doesn't matter how tight I do them - he still gets out. I always say no when he does it so I think he knows he's being naughty.

Obviously I don't intend to crash the car, but it worries me that he isn't strapped in properly. It's annoying to stop every 5 minutes to get his arms back in.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do? I'm thinking of making a sort of chest strap so he can't get the shoulder straps off. Has anyone else tried this?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 04-Jun-11 02:45:25

Tested in Australia. HTH.

sweatybrawearer Sat 04-Jun-11 02:52:55

He might be a bit young for this, but I managed to convince my DS2 (escape artiste extraordinaire) that the car would break down if he got out of his straps (I used to watch him in the mirror and - if it was safe of course - put the brakes on. After two or three times he believed me).

I stole the idea from someone else on MN grin.

Oblyx Sat 04-Jun-11 23:14:05

Oldlady - Thanks I think I'll get one of those, had no idea they even existed!

Sweaty - Brilliant idea! He's probably a bit young for that (hasn't got much language yet), but I might well try it when he's older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now