Talk

Advanced search

£3k to spend - 4 adults plus 3 boys (7, 3 and 6 months) - where would you go?

(22 Posts)
Chooster Thu 02-Jun-11 21:36:34

My wonderful in-laws want to pay for us all to go on holiday. Dh is their only child and my FIL had progressively worsening parkinsons so they've said they would like to pay for us all to go away on holiday this summer. They dote on the kids...

We really need somewhere that the 2 older boys will enjoy but wont be hard work with the little one in tow.

Any ideas??? Its totally open at the moment. MIL has said she wants me to decide... Help!

VinoEsmeralda Thu 02-Jun-11 21:46:50

Have a look at torridge house in little Torrington, brilliant place for people of all ages plus plenty to do off site as well.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Fri 03-Jun-11 07:07:11

Florida!

ENormaSnob Fri 03-Jun-11 08:28:58

Self catering in Greece.

Or maybe a villa somewhere?

Chooster Fri 03-Jun-11 09:13:46

Thanks so far! I thought Greece may be too hot? Not sure it would ne that comfortable for the baby? We went to Cyprus with dd1 when he was very young and it was 40 degrees and uncomfortable for him.

Any good all inclusive hotels with loads for the kids?

RamblingRosa Fri 03-Jun-11 09:15:41

How about Eurostar to south of France. Direct train all the way down to Provence. Under 4s travel for free so you'd save on travel costs. Then hire a nice holiday home with a pool.

MmeBlueberry Fri 03-Jun-11 09:27:30

Florida? How on £3k?

MmeBlueberry Fri 03-Jun-11 09:29:06

Op, how about a mobile home park in France?

Take two adjacent units, which many companies will allow you to do.

Chooster Fri 03-Jun-11 09:39:32

MMm, France sounds good... Will take a look at south of france

MmeBlueberry Fri 03-Jun-11 09:45:28

You will pay close to £2000 for a mobile home on a lively site in high season, and need to spend a fair bit just to get there, then day to day expenses.

Vendee is a good are as it is only 5 hours drive from the channel coast. You can get one unit for about £1000 high season.

We used www.carisma.co.uk last year, and they do grandparent offers and guarantee adjacent pitches.

givemeaclue Fri 03-Jun-11 09:48:34

Agree with blueberry - you are not going to get 4 adults and 3kids to florida for £3k!

mobile home seems a good option, eurocamp etc have kids clubs so the older one can go off and do some activities

MmeBlueberry Fri 03-Jun-11 09:49:31

The first paragraph in my last post was about the South of France.

CestTout Fri 03-Jun-11 11:32:08

My parents have stayed here last year in the Vendee and have booked to return again! Fantastic for children, completely enclosed garden and very near to the beach etc.

There are still two weeks in July avaliable.

Portofino Sun 05-Jun-11 09:39:45

You could try Landal Holiday parks in Holland, Belgium, Germany etc. We have stayed at a couple and the accommodation is really high standard, with loads for the kids to do, pools etc. You could get 2 weeks in August at some parks for under 2500 euros. And not so far to drive.

Portofino Sun 05-Jun-11 09:47:43

For example you could have 2 weeks in August at Domein de Schatberg in a luxury bungalow - flat screen tv, dishwasher, dvd player, sauna for 8 people for 2345 euros. The site has indoor and outdoor pools, bowling, playgrounds, indoor child paradise etc etc.

Psocid Sun 05-Jun-11 10:58:16

A summer cabin in Denmark is wonderful - not too hot, loads to do, the most magnificent endless beaches....

The cabins are lovely, loads of space round them, fully equipped, Ours had sandpits, play houses, bikes for littlies, everything you could want.

I used this place www.sologstrand.com/

frenchfancy Sun 05-Jun-11 18:31:11

I definately would go for a villa rather than a mobile home. You would have space to all be together and much more confort, particularly for the little one. The trouble is going to be finding somewhere that still has availability if you need the summer holidays.

www.vendee-vacances.co.uk would be ideal, but no availabilty for the summer period.

MmeBlueberry Sun 05-Jun-11 19:18:07

Then benefit ofma mobilemhome on a campsite is that you have instant friends and entertainment built in.

I have seen lots of lovely villas with pools, etc, butnhave always resisted because they would have missed an essential element of holiday.

Portofino Sun 05-Jun-11 20:37:43

Agree with MmeBluebery, on a campsite/resort type place there are always other childrren/adults to mix with. I have an only child - things run much smoother when there are kids club and children in the mobile home next door.

There is nothing like sitting with a glass of wine, chatting to your new neighbours on a warm evening, whilst the kids play football/badminton/ride scooters in the road. Only 4 weeks til my holibobs!

Clare25 Mon 06-Jun-11 14:49:29

I'd say Florida as well, and I'm sure it will be possible on 3k if you plan carefully (I'd imagine hiring a house would be better value, since you'd be paying a set price for everyone instead of having to worry about individual accomodation prices).

DoubleDegreeStudent Tue 07-Jun-11 15:08:20

Have you thought about ClubMed? Most of them are all inclusive of food and drinks (including the majority of alcohol) so no surprises at the end! We used to go to the kids' clubs when we were younger and loved them. They can sort travel too, and often have good deals...

Portofino Wed 08-Jun-11 08:53:01

Surely you'd struggle to get flights to Florida for 7 people for under 3 grand? Ditto Club Med!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now