Talk

Advanced search

Hire car in Italy with old paper driving licence???

(10 Posts)
Ponders Wed 01-Jun-11 21:10:46

Have just found out that you're supposed to have an International Driving Permit if you don't have a photo licence (why didn't hire company tell me when I booked months ago??? hmm)

We're going on Sunday, no time to get an IDP now, anybody know if I will still be able to pick up car at airport????

smokinaces Wed 01-Jun-11 21:26:49

DVLA Info

Seems they're through the AA - surely you still have time at £5.50 if they send it first class?

Ponders Wed 01-Jun-11 21:31:57

an "urgent" application (extra £4) takes 5 days hmm

Ponders Wed 01-Jun-11 21:39:29

oh, but, thanks to your nudge smile have just googled further (& with extra words confused) & discovered it is possible to apply in person at selected Post Offices!!!

useful list of POs - nearest one is about 20 miles away, PITA but better than finding I can't drive when I get there...

Honestly though, all it is is a folded cardboard form with your photo stuck in & some phrases translated - I had one a couple of years ago - £5.50 is money for old rope hmm

Graciescotland Wed 01-Jun-11 21:46:04

Don't know if it helps but I've hired a car in Holland with a paper licence last week and France the month before and nobody said anything about an international licence, are you sure it's mandatory?

smokinaces Wed 01-Jun-11 21:53:25

Fab Ponders, glad you found a solution. If you do drive abroad etc, would it be worth getting a photocard licence?

Gracie, some countries you dont need one for, its only particular countries.

Ponders Wed 01-Jun-11 22:16:35

yes, smokin, it probably would grin

I had been vaguely waiting for all my points to drop off but they have now so I should do it (but that's £20 which seems even more like money for old rope!)

anyway as I'll have to get photos for the IDP I can use the same ones to apply for a photo licence when we get back

Gracie, France don't mind at all. Spain do sometimes - I got my last IDP for driving in Spain, just in case - but it never occurred to me to check about Italy. If the hire agency had told me, I could have organised a photo licence instead (my poor paper one is very battered so it is time I retired it really!)

applesandcider Wed 01-Jun-11 23:19:16

I hired a car in Italy just before christmas with a paper licence and again in Switzerland in March (I have 3 points on my licence and don't want to renew it until the points drop off in July) but I didn't book the car in advance. Usually in Europe (IME over the past few years) a paper EU licence and passport is fine. But then, I don't usually book a hire car in advance, so things may be different if you have negotiated a better rate in advance etc...

Ponders Thu 02-Jun-11 10:59:27

oh thank you, apples - I did read somewhere that licence + passport is OK - I suppose it's just the photo id that matters.

I'd certainly rather not bother, it'll take a couple of hours I haven't got, DH thinks I'm mad to even consider it...

Ponders Thu 02-Jun-11 22:21:12

aha! have checked direct with Avis & they are fine with it!!! <phew>

if I get stopped for traffic issues that will be another matter...will just have to be v v careful

(& hope all other drivers around me are being v v careful also grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now