Talk

Advanced search

Florida with 7 month old?

(8 Posts)
NewChoos Sun 29-May-11 12:50:53

We have been invited to go to a friends apartment in Florida in November. Our DS will be 7 months, I feel a bit nervous about taking him. Has anyone got any experience/advice please?
My concerns are:
The heat
8 hours on a plane/airport transfers etc
The logistics of a buggy/car seat in taxis/plane (we don't plan to hire a car although we could if this would be easier).
Disturbing his routine - if he has one then.....

Are we being selfish taking him as obviously the holiday is more for mummy and daddy (although he will have our undivided attention of course).

Putthatbookdown Sun 29-May-11 13:39:44

The heat should not be too bad. Take usual precautions. Of course medical insurance is a must in the US . Where are you planning to go in Florida? Avoid Miami .You will find things easier with a car but there have been some unpleasant incidents with tourists in hired cars. Baby is a bit young for Disney and as this is the main attraction I would wait a few years,tbh

MmeBlueberry Sun 29-May-11 13:45:51

Are you sure you won't need a car?

NewChoos Sun 29-May-11 14:37:46

We would be going to the Orlando area and staying in a resort. So we would plan to have pool days, we would probably go to universal on 1 day but not disney. When we have stayed before, have always managed with hotel transfers and taxis but not sure of the logistics of this as would need to take car seat and buggy when going out?? Can't think of a way round this....

NewChoos Sun 29-May-11 14:49:40

We would be going to the Orlando area and staying in a resort. So we would plan to have pool days, we would probably go to universal on 1 day but not disney. When we have stayed before, have always managed with hotel transfers and taxis but not sure of the logistics of this as would need to take car seat and buggy when going out?? Can't think of a way round this....

NewChoos Sun 29-May-11 14:50:08

oops sorry posted twice not sure what happened there!

Rosa Sun 29-May-11 14:51:45

I have been in NOvember and had mixed weather from warmish days to having to go out and buy jackets s it was so cold. I would consider a car if it was me!

underactivethyroidmum Sun 19-Jun-11 21:46:16

We did Orlando at Xmas when my ds was 9 months old my top tips are as follows ;

take more baby milk than you think you'll need if your lo is on formula

take basic foods ie weetabix, baby cereal etc as these are expensive and some have added sugar !!!!

you will need a car. Taxis are difficult to organise if you have no car seat and you couldn't 'go out' and take the car seat and a buggy

invest in a good sling I bought a patapum on mumsnet reccomendations and it was priceless when queing for rides or at night if we wanted to walk around the mall as my ds sleeps much deeper in his sling

the weather will be perfect but take lots of layers - it can be cold especially at night and lots of suncream

as for sterilising I took the dispersable tablets and just used the sink although we stayed in a villa which was perfect

I hope this helps but any more questions send me a message and enjoy Florida ! Everywhere we went we felt very welcome and there were lots of tiny babies in all the theme parks quite possibly because the nappy changing facilities are some of the best I have encountered and the whole area is aimed at young families.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now