Talk

Advanced search

suitable carseat that fits easyjet seats????!!!!

(40 Posts)
babyjames Sun 29-May-11 09:43:53

Anyone taken a seat onto plane for toddler to sit on during flight? If yes which one? they all seem too wide!
Thanks am stressing a bit now!

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 13:20:00

ooh, i've booked onto an easyjet flight with dd and didn't even consider that our car seat might not fit the seats. how do you know the measurements? i'll be keeping an eye on this thread for advice.

AnnieLobeseder Sun 29-May-11 13:31:07

How long is your flight? Do you really need one? Just make sure you aren't making unnecessary work (and expense) for yourself. We've flown with our DDs from 5 weeks old to 5 years old, on flights from 1 hour to 12 hours and never missed not having a car seat.

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 13:36:46

For me it is so that dd can have a sleep and so that we have a bit more room. She wouldn't be happy sitting on my lap for 3 hours.

AnnieLobeseder Sun 29-May-11 13:39:22

But if you take a car seat, you have to book a whole seat for them, and they can sleep just as comfortably on the plane seat as in a car seat, surely? We've always just laid them across our laps.
If you have a car seat that fit, I guess it's no big deal, but to buy a whole new one? Really?

Sorry, none of my business but I just don't see the point.

WalterFlipschicks Sun 29-May-11 13:44:45

How old is your toddler?
We flew with our DS 2 at the time and he just sat in his own seat, no carseat, I think the only time I would consider taking a car seat was if it was a very young baby smile

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 13:45:19

Sorry, I seem to be hijacking this thread op blush

I had a bit of a panic this morning about dd not getting her sleep due to time of flight and being grumpy and crying on plane. she's not used to falling asleep anywhere but her cot or car seat - she has never done this, so i'm worried she won't sleep on my knee and the flight will be hell. So I booked an extra seat on the flight this morning. It was expensive and maybe i'm mad, but I just don't want a stressful, noisy flight!

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 13:47:57

water if the baby is under 2 and has its own seat, you must use a car seat. my dd is 10mths.

i've been doing a bit of research here (read googling) and it seems almost impossible to find a car seat that fits easyjet's seats. maybe i'll just end up holding her on my knee for takeoff and then putting her on her own seat during the flight - she might not sleep on the plane anyway, i suppose, as it is a new and strange environment.

WalterFlipschicks Sun 29-May-11 15:47:04

breadandhoney I didn't know that, our DS was just over two, so that must be why.
Hope you get it sorted both of you, maybe try contacting easyjet to see what they suggest? smile

babyjames Sun 29-May-11 16:42:31

Hi breadandhoney, seems like we had the same thought! I have emailed them so will see what they say. My son is such a fidget so I was thinking it would just be better for us all! I am happy to have him on our laps when seatbelt sign on then use other chair inbetween.
Annie - the aeroplane seat was fairly cheap and gives us more bagage and space so I figured less stress! I was only going to get a new seat as we need one anyway as he still in baby carrier at moment as its big. We are taking a seat for use in car when we arw away.

babyjames Sun 29-May-11 16:43:21

we are flying to Cyprus so about 5 hours

babyjames Sun 29-May-11 16:44:14

ou and he will be 14months!

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 20:02:41

Yes babyjames, we seem to have the same issue here. We also need to buy a seat anyway - need one for dh's car. I found one which may be suitable for easyjet. I saw it recommended on some forum (can't remember which now as I have been doing so much searching!) It is the Bebe Confort Iseos TT A bit pricey but it seems to get good reviews.

I'm slightly baffled that no one else seems to have experience of taking a car seat on the plane. Is it not very common? I had thought of maybe just holding DD on my lap while seatbelt signs are on and then just sitting her in the plane seat at other times, but I don't think she'd sleep like that, and obviously she wouldn't be as secure. Also, if it is a turbulent flight, she could end up on my knee for a long time and she is also a fidgeter!

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 20:03:17

oh and my dd will be 13mths when we travel

babyjames Sun 29-May-11 20:42:40

Still waiting for easyjet to respond! Let you know!

babyjames Sun 29-May-11 20:50:47

Can that seat be secured with a lap belt breadandhoney? Where and when are you going? There is soo much to sort isn't there!

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 22:32:25

didn't think to check that it could be secured with a lap belt. will have a look tomorrow. we're going to majorca in august. looking forward to it but a bit nervous about taking dd out of her normal environment (but this is a hot topic with me at the moment, as i am going back to work next monday after 1 year's maternity leave!) There really is so much to think about - she will be having a suitcase to herself- at least!

When are you travelling? Am interested to hear easyjet's response.

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 22:43:07

Have just found this which seems to suggest that the bebe confort iseos seat will fit and should be able to be secured on the plane with a lap belt. However, in a car it should be secured with a 3-point seatbelt.

JustcallmeMummyPig Sun 29-May-11 23:33:04

We have flown with under 2's and never taken a car seat.... they only have to be on your lap for take off and landing, rest of the time they just sit on the plane seat like everyone else...

cookcleanerchaufferetc Mon 30-May-11 07:46:28

Why can't they sit on your lap for take off and landing?

breadandhoney Mon 30-May-11 09:29:45

MummyPig, is there no problem with them sitting on the plane seat without restraints during the flight?

babyjames Mon 30-May-11 12:42:30

We are flying in June! Not long to sort everything! Who did you fly with Mummy Pig?

AnnieLobeseder Mon 30-May-11 13:05:21

No, they don't need restraints unless there's turbulence in which case they sit on your lap and are buckled in.

Mostly they run up and down the plane and you chase them hmm

I've done a lot of flying in my life, seen many, many children on planes and I've never ever seen one in a carseat.

breadandhoney Mon 30-May-11 19:55:05

I think I'm going to abandon the car seat idea and just hold dd on my lap when seatbelt signs are on and she can sit in the ordinary airplane seat when they're not on.

Annie, she's not even crawling yet so I don't think she'll be running by august...<crosses fingers>

I've never seen a car seat on a plane either, but just assumed I wasn't paying attention! However, my mum looked at me like i had 7 heads today when i mentioned it. We've done a lot of travelling in my life and obviously mum was paying more attention to the kids than I was and she says she's never seen anyone using a car seat either!

Will still be taking the seat (checking it in) to use in hire car in majorca.

debka Mon 30-May-11 19:57:51

You can hire car seats to go in hire cars too....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: