Talk

Advanced search

I don't know how to organise a holiday

(5 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Fri 27-May-11 13:11:01

I know where we are going, and I know when. I am probably capable of booking return flights. I probably won't get a brilliant deal though.

But then... how do I know where to stay while there? All the sites online are trying to sell me something so they're not a trusted review.

And how do I... I don't know... know what to do while there? Or how long to allocate to each thing?

God, this is really pathetic. I've never organised a holiday before.

walesblackbird Fri 27-May-11 13:15:05

If I'm going somewhere I'm unfamiliar with then I start by reading through the country's official tourism website to narrow it down to an area.

Then I trawl through some of the reviews on Trip Advisor to see where not to book.

Then I look at accommodation - we always book villas so I go through Holiday Lettings, Owners Direct, Holiday Rentals etc. Generally you find the same ones advertised but it helps narrow it down again.

tribpot Fri 27-May-11 13:16:57

If you have a branch of Co-op Travel nearby, my mum swears by them.

Failing that, you can use sites like Expedia to see what flights there are, and then the airlines' own websites to compare prices.

For hotels/accommodation, take a look at Tripadvisor. Or ask for recommendations on Mumsnet!

For activities, have a look at something like the Lonely Planet guide to where you're going and see what appeals, or just go with the flow and don't overstructure the holiday.

If you want Mumsnet assistance with any staging of the planning, just shout.

gregssausageroll Fri 27-May-11 13:42:48

OK. When are you going, for how long and where?

What are your interests? Do you want to see stuff or laze by the pool or a bit of both. Are you taking children, if so how old?

allhailtheaubergine Fri 27-May-11 13:46:55

Cool. Right. That's a start. Will get to Trip Advisor and official sites and be back when I have a better idea...

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now