Talk

Advanced search

Best tips for fighting off mozzies?

(11 Posts)
SpeedyGonzalez Wed 25-May-11 13:37:28

Are those room spray things any good, or just a con for gullible travellers? Also do you recommend one particular brand over another?

TIA

girlywhirly Wed 25-May-11 15:39:31

We use the plug in type with the rectangular impregnated card bits that you insert onto the hot plate of it. One morning we found lots of dead insects all over the balcony table, where we'd opened the window but left the insect mesh door closed and the shutters locked. So must have been strong! You can get them from supermarkets and chemists, and also luggage shops.

Some people say the liquid plug ins are even better. I would say that if you are really prone to being bitten, use a repellent spray suitable for use on skin as well. Mossies can be everywhere while you are out in the day or evening, it only takes a ditch with stagnant water for the mossies to breed in. And take something like After Bite, an ammonia based sting and bite relief which comes in a container with a pen clip attached, you'll need to pack in hold luggage as it's a liquid. Useful for nettles and jellyfish as well as mossies and bees/wasps. It really is effective at stopping the itching.

empirestateofmind Wed 25-May-11 15:50:01

We use Off! and also wear plastic bracelets impregnated with repellant. Both are available in the chemists in Singapore.

The danger time is about 5pm onwards for mozzies ie 2 hours before sundown here. However if you are out and about in places that haven't been regularly sprayed you need to be covered in repellant, especially your feet and ankles, all day.

If you are prone to getting infected bites carry Bactroban cream and antibiotics if you are going to far flung places.

Wotznotnow Wed 25-May-11 23:55:55

I always find I can be fine on holiday and then the worst time for getting bites is sitting on the plane while everyone is boarding for an afternoon flight home. Like a big canteen of humans for mozies. Make sure when you fly home in the afternoon / evening you are covered in repellant.

On holiday, they mostly bite near sundown, so in the evening, close the doors and spray your room when you leave for dinner. Wear loose fitting clothes, they can bite through tight fitting clothes. Don;t sit near bushes trees or shrubs which they like because of the moisture.

As for branss - Boots range are quite good and jungle formula.

Im now feeling itchy

overthemill Thu 26-May-11 00:08:16

not a brand recommendation but use them early in the evening and keep windows shut as soon as dusk falls. Also, successful tip, honest. EAT MARMITE. loads of it. we always take big jar and eat it on toast and it really seems to keep them away. No idea why.

SpeedyGonzalez Thu 26-May-11 14:36:55

lol at mozzie canteen and marmite! I love Marmite, as do all my family except DH. So it will serve him right if he gets bitten, mwa ha ha harr!

Thanks loads for all your tips, I think we'll all be well-protected now.

grin

Bunbaker Thu 26-May-11 20:47:15

Jungle Formula every time for us. OH is extremely attractive to biting insects and extremely allergic to insect bites. He even managed to not get bitten during a holiday to mosquito ridden Corfu at the end of September one year because he used Jungle Formula Tropical strength. We have a plug in insect repellent and the liquid which he used liberally on exposed areas. I can guarantee that it does work.

Nefret Fri 27-May-11 11:00:18

Don't wear perfume as mozzies are attracted by it, instead wear something with a lemon scent as they don't like that. Cintonella is good for keeping them away. We use Johnson's Off! repellent, which is good.

I think the plug ins are all pretty much the same.

FreeButtonBee Fri 27-May-11 11:12:17

Avon SKin so soft is v good. I get bitten alive and it's the only thing that works.

SpeedyGonzalez Sun 29-May-11 19:52:06

Wow, more posts - how thoughtful. Thanks for your tips!

Nefret Sun 29-May-11 22:16:19

I used skin so soft once and it seemed to attract the mozzies - I have never been bitten so much grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now