Talk

Advanced search

Turkish Lira or Euro's?

(12 Posts)
BiscuitsandBaileys Tue 24-May-11 21:39:57

We are going to Turkey for the first time this year.
We have quite alot of Euro's left over from last year's holiday and was going to get them changed to Lira. Someone told me that they also take Euro's in Turkey, just wondered if this is true? It would save us having to pay commision!
Hope this isn't a really daft question blush

Slambang Tue 24-May-11 21:48:32

depends where. Some touristy areas may take Euros happily but if you want to buy a coffee or something from a market stall you may have trouble (and get a bit ripped off).

BiscuitsandBaileys Tue 24-May-11 21:55:54

Thanks for that Slambang.
So we would probably be better off taking Lira then I guess?
We are staying near Fethiye.

Amateurish Wed 25-May-11 08:09:06

I'm sure you'll be able to spend the Euro if you take them, especially if you travel to a touristy part of Turkey.

Plus there's an arrival tax IIRC which you can pay in Euro.

daniellac Wed 01-Jun-11 01:05:59

We stayed near fethiye last week and nearly nowhere too euro (we had some left over too) but you can pay 15 euro each for your visa's smile

Nefret Wed 01-Jun-11 11:59:41

I don't think you will have any problem spending them in Turkey, if you do any day trips or if you buy clothes and things you should be able to pay in euros, you certainly can in Bodrum. I would take them with you and then if you find nowhere takes them you can exchange them out there.

BiscuitsandBaileys Thu 02-Jun-11 15:46:35

Now I'm confused!
Everyone seems to say something different confused
I was talking to someone yesterday who said she used Sterling, and that they take anything.
I guess it depends where you go.

Nefret Fri 03-Jun-11 12:13:44

I can't say for Fethiye but I lived in Turkey and everywhere I went in a tourist resorts they accepted lira, sterling and euros. If for some reason you can't find anywhere to spend them you will get a better exchange rate for lira out there than at home anyway.

Putthatbookdown Sat 04-Jun-11 23:45:45

I used to go over there a fair bit as I had business connections at the time . The Turks never let me buy anything there unless they were with me as they said I would be charged twice the price. The tourist areas will take any currency but you will be overcharged : they make their living from tourism after all.

Nefret Sun 05-Jun-11 16:18:02

That is true of any tourist resort in any country though, you always pay more. Luckily in Turkey I am ok though as my husband is Turkish and he buys everything while we are there. He once pretended to be Italian so he could hear what the people in the shop were saying when he bought some jeans. They actually said "He is Italian so charge him more, they have loads of money"! They were very embarassed when he told them he was actually Turkish - lol, and he got the jeans very cheap after that wink

befuzzled Sun 05-Jun-11 22:41:20

also confused now. What currency should I take for best value/least ripped off? Where should I get it from? UK or there?

Nefret Mon 06-Jun-11 12:07:26

The best thing to do is take a small amount of lira and then either take sterling to exchange into lira when you get there (you get a better exchange rate there) or withdraw lira from the ATMs out there.

You may do better to pay for trips in sterling and if you buy clothes too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now