Talk

Advanced search

Pushchairs for over twos on Ryanair

(10 Posts)
Jobalus Mon 23-May-11 11:24:51

Has anyone got any recent experience of flying Ryanair with a pushchair for a child of more than two (ie not an "infant" as per their definition)? Have seen some threads on this in the past but no definitive advice. Ryanir info deals only with free carriage of pushchairs for infants. I have no intention of paying for baggage allowance! Thanks

SarkyLady Mon 23-May-11 11:29:16

Seems completely reasonable for you to have to pay baggage allowance IMO.

Jobalus Mon 23-May-11 11:44:35

With respect, I'm not asking for views on the reasonableness or otherwise of Ryanair's baggage policy. Pushchairs for under twos are free; they are just as necessary for toddlers slightly over two. I simply want to know if I'll be charged for something that would have been free a couple of weeks ago. Ryanair's advice is unclear. Very grateful for any recent experience from anyone.

jeee Mon 23-May-11 11:50:07

Unless Ryanair explicitly states that buggies for over twos are free, you'll be charged. This was, after all, the firm that insisted disabled people paid to use a wheelchair at the airport.

WalterFlipschicks Mon 23-May-11 11:53:33

I wasn't charged last July for a pushchair for a 2.3 year old, we did pay for a ticket for him, and he had his own seat, we didn't pay for baggage for him, so we had two lots of baggage allowance between three of us IYSWIM.
Have you paid for a seat for your DC?

JustcallmeMummyPig Mon 23-May-11 11:53:56

I think it's been their policy for a while... budget airlines will charge you for anything and everything...

Jobalus Mon 23-May-11 14:54:40

WalterFlipschicks - Yes, she's travelling as a paying passenger, so in theory has her own baggage allowance (if we were to pay for it, that is).

The Ryanair advice is as follows:

"There is no checked or cabin baggage allowance for infants, however one fully collapsible pushchair per child is carried free of charge and does not need to be prebooked"

Arguably you could draw a distinction in this sentence between the use of "infant" - meaning under-two-year-old - and "child" - used elsewhere by Ryanair to denote those of two and above.

WalterFlipschicks Mon 23-May-11 15:58:06

I remember that wording from when we travelled, I didn't really think of it like that, the fact they are paying for a seat may mean they don't class as an infant, but a child... but I didn't have to pay for mine, they take it as you board the plane and they give it back as you get off again.

'collapsible pushchair per child is carried free of charge'

If they got shirty you could draw their attention to the use of the word child.

I wouldn't worry though, as I said I didn't pay
HTH

etherfairy Fri 07-Jun-13 20:50:56

Have just used Ryanair for our holiday with grandchild aged 2 years 1 month (a child in their terms). Absolutely no problem about taking on pushchair for free. Had to get pushchair tagged at check-in desk though and hand over passports and boarding cards to do so. We wheeled buggy right up to plane steps where it was taken off us. Same for return flight, only this time we checked it in.

thereinmadnesslies Fri 07-Jun-13 20:52:32

Easyjet let us take a buggy for free for DS aged 3 last summer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now