Talk

Advanced search

Holiday with 4 Month Old. Advice Needed!

(10 Posts)
verycherry82 Tue 10-May-11 10:16:28

Hello all,

My DS is 4 months old and we are going to a villa with a pool in Spain for 5 days next week. The pool isn't heated so I think it will be too cold for DS. I was planning to get a baby wetsuit for him. The ones I have been looking at are like swimming costumes. I was also planning to get a couple of the SPF 50 sunsuits to put over the wetsuit when he is in the pool.

A couple of questions really! Does anybody have experience with the wetsuits and are they any good? Does he have to wear a nappy under them?

Any other tips for travelling with a young baby would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance. x

cheekeymonkey Tue 10-May-11 11:27:41

Sorry can't answer on the wetsuit but invaluable travel advise to prevent screaming baby during take off and landing is to give him a bottle with water or milk to suck at constantly during take off and landing. The swallowing and sucking action stops the babies ears from hurting with the change of pressure.
Also an inflatable bath is brilliant if villa doesn't have bath and it doubles up as a paddling pool which you can put warm water in.
Calypso once a day factor 40 sun screen is really good as my DD was allergic to anything else other than boots baby cream - this was a god send. The only place I can get it in factor 40 though is Home Bargains.
Hope you have a fabulous time!

Kiwinyc Tue 10-May-11 12:20:29

yes i had one for my 4mo when we went to Greece in Sept one year. It was a thick neoprene one and was ok but tbh, at that age she didn't really care about going swimming one bit (It was her older sister that wanted to swim) and I didn't bother more than once or twice. If you plan to take him to baby swimming classes or something like that after your holiday then it may come in useful but i wouldn't bother trying to go swimming with him otherwise. They're perfectly content at that age to nap poolside. (But yes, you put a swim nappy on underneath)

I believe its not recommended to put suncream on babies under 6mths also so I would keep him in the shade, that all i ever did with mine.

My other tip with flying with a baby is to take a sling or baby carrier to get them on and off the plane more easily - it leaves your hands free to carry bags etc and easier to hold them in lines for immigration etc.

Have fun.

verycherry82 Tue 10-May-11 13:01:41

Thank you for that!

We already go to baby swimming classes and he loves the water so he will probably be in the pool (albeit for very short periods at a time) every day we're there.

Why can't you put cream on babies under 6 months?

gregssausageroll Tue 10-May-11 13:35:29

I'd rather put suncream on a baby (which I did regardless because of reflections) than have them burnt.

Kiwinyc Tue 10-May-11 13:49:34

Most sunscreens iir, say on the bottle not to use on babies under 6 mths. As i said, I kept mine covered up and shaded and never had any issues. Nor did I think it was possible to adequately put sunscreen on a tiny baby face without it all ending in tears... But if you think your child is likely to burn through uv exposure via reflections then go ahead!

PatriciaHolm Tue 10-May-11 19:22:41

Soltan (and others) do sun lotion for babies, Boots stock it, so that's not an issue, although you should try keep him in the shade as much as possible. You'll need swim nappies, yes, which I would take - they'll cost a fortune there!

WeesaD Mon 30-May-11 19:17:23

I'm readig all the travel posts on babies becasue I am planning on going to mallorca in August with DD who will then be 14 weeks.

I am nervous of the heat at that time, but mostly worried about this measles outbreak in europe and travelling with her - has that worried you at all verycherry82?

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 31-May-11 08:35:39

Take reusable swim nappies. I didn't even discover they existed until DD was about two. I spent the budget deficit of a small nation on little swimmers until I had a chance encounter in mothercare in Bangkok.

wigglesrock Tue 31-May-11 20:49:39

I've just bought baby suncream for my 4 month old, we are heading to Ibiza in 2 weeks grin Also have 5 and 3 year old, second PatriciaHolm bring you own swim nappies but I just buy nappies over there. I bought a sunscreen suit for dd3 but tried it on her and she hated it, squealed the place down, so not bothering!! Don't use a swimming costume with a built in nappy, dd2 had one of them, worst mess I have ever seen, thankfully she wasn't in the water blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: