Talk

Advanced search

Keycamp or other cheap alternatives to Eurocamp recommendations please.

(13 Posts)
Jezabelle Fri 15-Apr-11 20:26:10

I read that Keycamp was same as Eurocamp but cheaper. This really appealled to me as I am gagging for a holiday, but just don't have much money right now! Anyone been on a Keycamp holiday or similar? Which resort? Any good? Was it a complete PITA to get to? Don't fancy a big long drive through France with a 2 and 5yo in tow!

TIA

jolufc Fri 15-Apr-11 21:15:34

Siblu, using Tesco clubcard points work out cheap.

dreamingofsun Sun 17-Apr-11 19:01:04

not much different in price or quality between the 2 from what i remember, except that keycamp could never get us across the channel at may half term despite me provisionally booking before the brochure came out.

where are you thinking of going? when we had kids that age we spent lots of holidays in brittany, especially south brittany as weather better. can advise on sites if you are interested as have been to around 10.

bit like cornwall with better weather and less tat and less people

GnomeDePlume Sun 17-Apr-11 22:22:29

Other alternatives which can be cheaper:
- booking direct with the campsite
- looking at other operators such as VacanSoleil

One caveat - French owned mobilehomes probably wont have the same kitchen equipment as a Eurocamp/Keycamp mobile.

QueenofWhatever Mon 18-Apr-11 08:11:38

I've just come back from a week with Keycamp in Quarteria in Portugal and it was great. The chalets, courier, everything are the same as Eurocamp but cheaper. Also book via quidco or other cashback site and you get 4% back.

Shed loads of kids around, including lots of parents on their own. I booked flights with Ryanair and got a taxi from Faro. Very straightforward. Also going to Italy in the summer and booked both at the same time so got a further discount.

I've also been to one in Normandy a couple of years ago which had a great swimming pool complex. Lots have free kids club. Also have a look at Thomson al fresco which is the same thing.

mummytime Mon 18-Apr-11 08:29:49

We used Canvas a few times, on most of the same sites as Eurocamp, but bigger tents. Its a nice Scottish company so the children's clubs are great. We've also stayed with a site itself, especially look at the Yelloh chain, we stayed in a very nice cabin with one.

GnomeDePlume Mon 18-Apr-11 09:02:31

If you are going any time other than peak season then it is worth doing a side-by-side comparison of all the different options:
- Eurocamp
- Keycamp
- Canvas
- VacanSoleil
- Direct booking

Pick the holiday you would choose from each for your particular dates. You can then see how they compare. IME they all have different price structures. Canvas can be very good value out of the peak season but more expensive at the peak.

Also check the details of the accomodation. Some companies load the base price and others load the the supplements.

The devil is in the detail.

Jezabelle Tue 19-Apr-11 21:45:03

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I will look into all. Have just googled Yelloh Mummytime and it looks great! I think I'll follow your methodical plan of action Gnome, all seems a bit overwhelming as I'm not sure how to go about deciding the best area or best sites etc, but I know I have just got to go for it or else we'll be going nowhere fast!

GnomeDePlume Wed 20-Apr-11 04:23:35

Good luck - there are worse things to have to do!

I would most definitely go with Canvas. I am unsure whether you have actually travelled yet but I will give my opinion anyway and hope it is of use to others for the future.
We travelled with our five children this year to Berny Riviere close to Paris with Keycamp and had a most awful experience with them. The site is lovely so highly recommend that but the keycamp caravan was terrible. We have children from 9 months to 18 years old so were most careful to check the baby would be able to sleep with us to avoid disruption to her and the other children, this was not the case. The high chair was filthy and unsafe. I asked for a pitch away from open water for obvious reasons only to find out from the courier that all keycamp caravans of this type are close to the water - not sure why they didn't tell us this when we made our request. They did not deliver any of the items I pre-ordered so we were left overnight with inadequate linen for the children as nobody bothered to bring it when we pointed it out. The customer service is appaling...they deny all responsibility so don't expect problems to be sorted out. Also when we went to get the linen ourselves we found the key cupboard openend, office unmanned and so we went in and took out a duplicate key to our caravan just to point out how easy it is to access all keys. Any caravan can be entered and contents stolen, money passports etc. The canvas pitches were lovely - I think they have lodges there which looked gorgeous too. Hope this helps.

SammyHills Tue 27-Sep-11 10:37:40

www.selfcateringholidays-uk.com includes all the main operators including Keycamp, Eurocamp, Siblu and Canvas. There are some Suncamps as well.

frenchfancy Wed 28-Sep-11 06:33:43

I think gnomes plan is a good one. I just want to add another to the list - gite (via owners direct or similar).
Camping is not always the cheapest route, particularly in the peak season. I find that a gite with a pool comes out cheaper, with more space and more comfort.

And try the Vendée, not much further from the ports than Brittany but weather much better, particularly South Vendée round La Tranche sur Mer.

rosy71 Wed 05-Oct-11 22:48:21

We booked direct with Les Castels this year. Much cheaper than Eurocamp/Keycamp. Disadvantages were no oven and not quite such a nice caravan. I've been looking at Yelloh recently. Looks really nice and seems cheaper too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now