Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone flown with Ryan air? Is it as awful as it's made out to be?

(49 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Thu 07-Apr-11 08:36:37

i.e. online checkin but the website's down, etc, getting charged loads of extras you weren't expecting, etc?

Bucharest Thu 07-Apr-11 08:41:15

There are no hidden extras with Ryanair, not really. You'd have to be a nomad in a yurt in Xbgruggstuan to not know that Ryanair splits their charges into little sections grin
You know before you start that your flight will cost 1p, your baggage £40 etc etc. If the website is saying something like "all flights from £4.99" then you can factor in that in total it will be about £80. Still a damn sight cheaper than anybody else.

I always fly with Ryanair (convenience and cost) and tbh, haven't had a problem. (except with arsey fellow passengers who want to pay £4.99 yet expect Singapore Airline services)

You have from buying your ticket until 4 hrs before flying to do the online check in (I do it at the moment of paying for the ticket so it's all done) so even if the website is down (which I've never found) you still have time later to do it.

(Easyjet are nicer I have to say, and at Christmas dp spent less with Alitalia than I did with Ryanair because there were offers.)

alphamummy Thu 07-Apr-11 08:43:27

erm we flew last month with them. if you do exactly what they say with regards to online booking and weight restricions you wont get charged more. give your self lots of time for the online check in its really easy.

there is no seating plan so its a free for all. I'll never forget when the boarding is annouced people running (and i mean sprinting with children under there arms) to the boarding gate to get to the front of the que to get seats together, it was awful. Then people were pushing in at the front of the que i'm suprised there were no punch ups tbh.

Personally i'll never fly with them again.

nocake Thu 07-Apr-11 08:51:08

I have a relative who is a commercial pilot. He said he'd be happy to fly with any of the European airlines except Ryanair because they don't require their pilots to speak the same language. That means in an emergency the two people in the cockpit may not be able to communicate effectively.

applesandcider Thu 07-Apr-11 22:10:42

Yes I have and Yes it is!!! Everything you've heard about them is probably true!!!

ColdHeartedBitch Thu 07-Apr-11 22:14:14

Its like the little girl with the little curl. When it is good it is very good, when it is bad it is horrid. Truely truely horrid. I will never fly with them with ds, but might consider it if it was just me flying.

socka Thu 07-Apr-11 22:17:48

I like them, but I fly alone quite a bit so hang back while everyone dashes to the gate like sheep. I use the card that doesn't charge you a booking fee and only carry hand luggage so get my flights cheap. Online check in and their website have always been fine. Few delays but minor ones and I like loitering in airports anyway.

Probably a different story if you're travelling during summer holidays with 3 kids and a heap of luggage though.

SofaQueen Thu 07-Apr-11 22:20:55

Yes, I have and yes, it is. Avoid, unless you have no luggage and it is very, very short haul.

Bunbaker Mon 11-Apr-11 00:00:52

OH has loads of times. BUT he was on his own, it was short haul, someone else was paying and he always paid for priority boarding. He flew with them because they were the only airline that flew to his destination. They also have an excellent record for punctuality.

miche8 Mon 11-Apr-11 10:16:02

i'd never travel again with ryan air no matter how cheap.....people push and shove and do actually run to get a seat. i wrongly assumed people with young children would board first, there was no one to help carry the pushchair down stairs, while struggling with a toddler and baby and hand luggage, and quite frankly dangerous with people trying to push past us. We didn't get to sit together or even near each other, and they wanted my 2yr old to sit with a stranger, people were asked to move by the airline staff so my son could at least sit with one parent but people were reluctant. I also had to ask several times for a lap belt for the baby.

Ryan air is fine for adults but not families with young children.

Roastchicken Mon 11-Apr-11 10:28:00

I have lots with DCs and its fine as long as you are prepared - i.e. weigh luggage beforehand to make sure that you're within the limits and get to the gate early and stand in a queue. Easyjet are better as they still give families priority, but if you're flying with kids for the first time its probably worth paying for speedy boarding to avoid the dash. Then you should be fine.

The plus points are - it is cheap (even with hidden charges) and they fly to lots of regional airports so depending on where you are going the flight can be more convenient. I find them more punctual (i.e less likely to be delayed than other airlines) - partly due to using less congested airlines and partly because as seats are not allocated, passengers board more promptly. They are also less affected by strikes than say BA.

CestTout Mon 11-Apr-11 10:39:37

Agree with roastchicken. I fly with them to Ireland and France every 6/8 weeks plus 2/3 times a year with 3 children. Don't expect much customer service, treat it like a bus. Make sure you are there well in advance and that your baggage is within restrictions. If you have kids I'd recommend paying the extra 8 quid per person to get priority boarding (this is restricted to max 60 people.)

Hope that helps.

dustwhatdust Mon 11-Apr-11 10:55:35

I agree with Bucharest - you don't shop at primark buy a dress for a fiver and expect Jager quality and customer service.
as long as you are informed and prepared , follow the rules about luggage weight and hand luggage dimensions you'll be ok .

Roastchicken is right when when she says they often fly to (great and quiet )very regional destinations, that others don't fly that you have no choice.
Our family use ryanair all the time, we have no choice because of the destination, we have a seaside house we go to often and we're used to it now .

We buy M and S sarnies and mars bars etc so we never pay for outrageously priced snacks on board . I object to paying £3.50 for an onboard coffee but i have been known to, as i find it very difficult ,due to my caffeine addiction ! grin
regarding families, if the kids are under 5 they do have priority boarding after the paid for people but it is bun flight ....
I do prefer easyjet but ryanair prices are much cheaper especially during school hols.

breatheslowly Mon 11-Apr-11 11:00:30

The seats are minature. DH has his knees crushed against the seat in front. We used to wait and board last and the look of horror on other passengers' faces when the thought they had bagged an empty seat next to them and DH then squeezed in was funny. Also don't fly into Stansted (Ryanair hub) on a Sunday evening, it takes an hour to get through passport control.

bemybebe Mon 11-Apr-11 11:04:05

It is not "awful" but will never fly with them again as long as I can afford to.

Rohey Mon 11-Apr-11 11:15:17

Cesttout, how do get priority boarding? I am travelling with a 7 & a 4 year old and 8 month baby. What can I take on board re. Food for the kids and milk and food for the baby?

Thanks xx

DastardlyandSmuttily Mon 11-Apr-11 11:24:31

Oh and don't fly late at night, or expect anyone to get any sleep during the flight. The planes are bright yellow inside, and they bombard you with tannoy announcements trying to sell you things every 30 seconds. I have taken to wrapping a scarf around my head like a burka, plugging in earphones, and hiding.

Also if you have a hand luggage sized wheely case you will probably be able to put in in the overhead lockers (although they sometimes take them off you at the gate to put in hold), but if you have smaller hand luggage, very unjustly they make you put it under the seat in front of you, where there is fuck all foot room, rendering you even more uncomfortable as a penalty for travelling light.

Hate them personally.

Bucharest Mon 11-Apr-11 11:45:09

Rohey, you pay for priority boarding as you book online, it asks you if you want to be among the first people to board the plane.
You can take whatever you want for the baby as* *long as liquids and gloopy spoony spready things are packaged in clear plastic bags and none individually are over 100ml. Tbh, I can't be faffed with that, so just buy everything (at a premium obviously) airside.....it's just the going through security where you can't take stuff.

Rohey Mon 11-Apr-11 11:55:25

Thanks Bucharest....gosh this is such hard work...tempted to stay back...if I buy the milk cartons will the trolley dollies warm it up? If there a m&s airside?

chipmonkey Mon 11-Apr-11 11:55:47

I hate Ryanair but have to use them sometimes as other airlines don't fly where I need to go! I found them dreadful when travelling with ds2 and ds4. Struggling down steps in Newcastle while carrying ds4 and a suitcase and poor ds2 trying to manage the buggy and a suitcase. If it wasn't for other passengers' helpfulness I would have been in big trouble. Also saw an old lady struggling downstairs with no help.

If I have a choice I fly Aer Lingus. Much more human!

Bucharest Mon 11-Apr-11 11:58:24

At Stansted? No,no M and S.
There's a Boots,which does OK sarnies and stuff, and various other pret-a-manger coffee type places.
Not sure the trolley dolls will be allowed to heat the milk up- I've heard lots of elf and safety hoohah about that.

MmeSurvivedLent Mon 11-Apr-11 12:01:17

I used to fly with them all the time, haven't since we moved to Geneva as they don't fly here.

Agree with Bucharest. Be organised, stay calm and if you get on the plane and passengers are not budging, stay polite. "I have XX children. We need to sit together. Would someone please move so that we can do so".

I think it is the passengers more than the actual airline, cheap stuff seems to bring out the worst in people.

bemybebe Mon 11-Apr-11 12:01:54

You can pay for priority booking of course but on the only flight i have taken them to so-called 'Frankfurt' they have announced the change of gates and the whole 'priority' queue started sprinting to the new destination. It was shocking to watch as some fit and healthy tried to outrun people with children and the elderly. I understand it is not really unusual to change the gate at the last moment.

CestTout Mon 11-Apr-11 12:09:26

Rohey - where are you flying from/to?

CestTout Mon 11-Apr-11 12:10:20

Dublin airport is a nightmare for gate changes, I'm getting to the point now where I think the gate crew do it for the entertainment factor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now