Talk

Advanced search

Italy in May - will it be warm enough

(10 Posts)
jennymac Sat 05-Mar-11 18:05:08

Taking advantage of last year of being able to travel outside school holiday periods and thinking of a keycamp holiday near Venice the last week in May. Has anyone been to this region at this time of year before and what was the weather like?

maryjane71 Sat 05-Mar-11 23:05:18

We went to Lake Garda a couple of years ago at the beginning of June and the weather was perfect. We also spent a day in Venice. Glorious sunshine. But, the week before they had had thunderstorms!

gregssausageroll Sun 06-Mar-11 12:15:02

On the flip side we went to Rome, Florence and Mugello at the start of June 4 years ago. Was freezing for all except 2 days in Rome and one afternoon in Mugello.

Rained hard too. Was a bit miserable.

I think be prepared as you would here.

selby Sun 06-Mar-11 17:10:04

We are going to Italy last week of may and it is normally hot enough for us to go to the beach. It is summer half term though so if I was you, I would avoid that week and go a week or two later instead.

MelM73 Fri 11-Mar-11 13:46:13

I know Puglia is great at this time of year...it's Spring, so very green, beautiful flowers everywhere and a great temperature. Not too many tourists either + cheap flights so always a bonus.

Check out www.and-relax.net for a lovely villa that friends of mine stayed at. As the name suggests they've thought of everything they could to help parents relax on holiday!

nancydrewfoundaclue Fri 11-Mar-11 13:50:30

I was in Como in April a few years ago and it was plenty hot enough to use the outdoor pool. We had one afternoon (well an hour or so) of torrential rain otherwise the weather was beautiful.

patefatta Wed 10-Apr-13 12:09:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mondrian Wed 10-Apr-13 12:19:51

Drove through Italy in May a few years ago entering from Lugano and on to como, Garda, Venice, Pisa, Naples, Amalfi coast, Bari and then ferry across to Greece. Weather was unpredictable, great in Lugano/Como, overcast on outskirts of Milan, cold and windy in Venice (low point of the trip, very disappointed), nice in Pisa, nice in Naples, torrential rain the night we arrived on the Amalfi coast and the most glorious day of the whole European road trip the morning we woke up on the Amalfi coast in a beautiful hotel overlooking the coast line and Capri island with Naples in the background.

So I'd say it will be highly unpredictable, good days will be great as long as you are prepared to deal with the rainy ones.

Rosa Wed 10-Apr-13 12:28:49

Its been blazing hot and as said also rain and cool. Generally speaking though you should be ok ...Just don't quote me !!!
If there is one further south you may have a better chance of better weather.

Crutchlow35 Wed 10-Apr-13 18:52:28

Have reported the spammer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now