Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with Formula - Powder or Tetra Pack

(11 Posts)
TXB Mon 10-Jan-11 07:54:19

Hi,
I'm flying to the US this week from Heathrow and I've been trying to work out the best formula to take for my 12mo ds. I understand you are allowed to take powder formula however I'm wondering if I can take the 200ml tetra packs instead without having to open them all at security check? Has anyone taken these before?
I am hoping I can take these otherwise I'll have to take an empty flask and buy some boiling water from starbucks or similar once I'm past the checkpoint for mixing on board.
Thanks

LadyintheRadiator Mon 10-Jan-11 07:59:08

Can't you buy cartons from Boots once you have gone through security?

BiscuitNibbler Mon 10-Jan-11 08:18:30

One of my friends pre-ordered the cartons from Boots at the airport, so she was able to pick them up once through security and knew that they would definitely have the ones she wanted in stock. You could try that?

TXB Mon 10-Jan-11 08:28:50

Yes, I had a look at buying them post security checks. Aptamil is sold in terminal 3 but not terminal 5.
I didn't think about pre-ordering but my concern would be if there is a mistake with the order in boots, I wouldn't want to be on a 11 hour flight with no formula so would prefer to take the powder in that instance.

Does this mean I can't take the tetra packs?

LadyintheRadiator Mon 10-Jan-11 08:35:28

I don't think you can, no. I am sure I've read that you'd need to open them and drink a bit (????)

As your DS is 12 months what about just giving cow's milk?

LadyBiscuit Mon 10-Jan-11 08:40:27

I took made up bottles and just had to drink some of them to prove they weren't going to kill anyone

TXB Mon 10-Jan-11 09:10:28

Thanks, I'll go back to taking the powder and mix them on board.

Radiator - DS is weaning but not fully weaned yet so he's still on a mixture.

LadyintheRadiator Mon 10-Jan-11 09:15:02

Oh no I don't mean stop formula altogether, just for the journey, cow's milk might be easier. But if he's not used to it, he might not be impressed with the taste! So powder might be your best bet after all. Would the airline provide water (surely)?

TXB Mon 10-Jan-11 09:29:12

Yes, powder is the best bet I think as he's on a half & half mix and not too happy with plain milk on it's own yet. I think the airline would provide water but I read somewhere about contamination in those boilers on planes... I kinda figure you take the same risk at Starbucks too don't you. I don't know - it's all too hard to fly with a baby these days isn't it. lol

LadyBiscuit Mon 10-Jan-11 09:35:22

I would buy readymade and just pour into bottles before you travel. They are fine to travel around with for quite a long time (well they never did my baby any harm). Boiling water on planes is not very hot (judging by the cup of tea I got given yesterday)

neenewps Wed 12-Jan-11 10:51:16

Crew will make up your formula bottle for you.

The water is boiling hot from the brewers and is perfectly safe to drink but if you prefer not to use the water from there, then you could ask the crew if you can use the bottled water, then give the crew the bottle for warming.

If you take the tetra packs you will need to open each one and taste it at security so powdered formula is best.

Have you booked a bassinet position?

Hope you have a nice time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: