Talk

Advanced search

photoshoot for book-should dd be paid?

(5 Posts)
princessllama Mon 03-Jan-11 10:53:33

does anyone know if it is reasonable to expect dd who is 4 to be paid for doing a 1 hour photoshoot for a book? we were asked if she'd do it as a favour to a friend of a friend that needed someone at last minute. we have just been told that they'll pay travel expenses but nothing about any pay.

exexpat Mon 03-Jan-11 11:17:53

If it's just a favour, and will only take an hour or so, I wouldn't expect any pay - travel expenses should be enough. I'd just think of it as a fun experience, and expect to get a copy of the book when it's done.

Both my DCs did a little bit of modelling, mostly on this sort of basis, when we were living overseas, and the photos etc from the sessions make good keepsakes.

Hersetta Fri 07-Jan-11 13:17:28

DD has done a photoshoot for Tomy she got travel expenses and £50 per hour.

going Fri 07-Jan-11 13:22:06

My kids model and although most work is paid occasionally they are asked to do unapid work for expenses only. If the work is unpaid I ask for copies of the photos, in your situation I would also ask for a free copy of the book - it will be a lovely keep sake.

sausagerolemodel Fri 07-Jan-11 13:26:46

Likewise - if its for the actual friend rather than a big-name publisher taking the piss, I'd look on it as a favour with the benefit of getting the book (which could act as the start of a "portfolio" if you wanted to take it further) - ensure you can get copies of the photos and are allowed to use them as such if so).

If there's a big publisher behind the book, I would expect something more. Also check what you are signing off on. i.e. Whether you simply approve it for use in the book, or if they expect to re-use it (I once did a photoshoot as a favour for a friend for the AA website. It was supposed to be "thumbnail shots". They liked the picture and stuck it on the inside cover of every motorycling magazine in the UK for a year to sell their insurance, with me pulling a face that looked like I was constipated.

confused <----not unlike this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now