Talk

Advanced search

Eurocamp (or similar)- any recommendation?

(25 Posts)
WisteriaWoman Sat 01-Jan-11 11:10:25

I am thinking of taking DD (7) to Eurocamp this summer. DH doesn't want to come so I want something that's easy to get to from airport with lots of kids activities. I'm happy to sit by a pool for a week!

SantasENormaSnob Sat 01-Jan-11 17:59:10

Tbh I hated keycamp.

Thompson superfamily were good for the kids and my arse didn't move off my sun lounger grin

strandednomore Sat 01-Jan-11 18:04:20

Watching with interest as I have been thinking of Eurocamp but don't know where to start....

panettoinydog Sat 01-Jan-11 18:18:02

Check out Matthews holidays too. They operate on the same sites but are much cheaper.

Pantofino Sat 01-Jan-11 19:28:52

We went with Siblu to Lac des Reves a couple of summers ago. Very close to Montpellier airport. DD loved the kids club. Small shop, restaurant and takeaway on site. The pool was lovely.

SaggyHairyArse Sat 01-Jan-11 21:18:16

Ca'Savio or Union Lido at Lido di Jesolo, Italy.

Very easy to get there by flying to Venice and get coach outside of airport.

Fab sites, lots to do, nice beaches and culture in Venice if you fancy it.

WisteriaWoman Sat 01-Jan-11 21:26:30

Thanks for those suggestions - Italy sounds interesting.

Saggy - why did you choose that name.... hmm

SaggyHairyArse Sat 01-Jan-11 22:53:48

LOL, only because of my star sign and a joke with a friend whose birthday is the day before mine. I do not actually have a SHA

QueenofWhatever Sun 02-Jan-11 10:50:49

Wisteria, I'm planning on going to Marina de Venezia with DD (6) in August. I'll book with Thompsons al fresco as they are the ones with the kid's club there. I'm a big fan of these sorts of holiday and DD loves it because of the swimming pools and shed loads of Euro kids.

easyjet to Venice and then you can use boat/bus to get there, details via tripadvisor. The car transfers they offer are super expensive.

goodmanners Sun 02-Jan-11 10:56:13

Are they just like haven abroad? i only ask as dh refuses to visit haven or stay in a caravan like that ever again in his life so if i can convince him truthfully they are enot they look lovely and im up for it.

dreamingofsun Sun 02-Jan-11 13:26:23

goodmanners - the sites we've been to in france are nothing like the ones in the uk. we've been to around 10 eurcamp type ones and had a plot with a hedge round it each time. some with roses/fuschia. and usually lots of trees.

they have loads of sporting facilities and better pools than what i've seen advertised in the uk.

if you research properly you should be fine. its a great holiday with kids.

i couldn't bear to do the haven type thing in the uk.

Pantofino Sun 02-Jan-11 13:29:05

I've never been with Haven, but I usually book the biggest/top range one I can afford, and they have always been fine. Shortage of cupboard space is the main problem.

We also did Union Lido without a car with no problems. In fact there was so much to do we never actually left the site the whole week.

Pantofino Sun 02-Jan-11 13:32:39

The places we have stayed have usually felt reasonably "up market". Not full of football shirt wearing lager louts. A good mix of nationalities. Imho, the Italian resorts tend to get a higher volume of Germans. The french ones get lots of French/Belgians/Dutch. This can have an effect on what beer they sell on site, and the food available in the shop.

goodmanners Sun 02-Jan-11 15:33:55

Where would you highly recommend then? We would either fly or like somewhere just a v sort drive accross the channel - do they do ones that look more like a lodge than a caravan? The pools look fab.

Pantofino Sun 02-Jan-11 17:09:09

Also how about Pierre et Vacances if you prefer NOT to stay in a mobile home. They do houses and apartments here at a variety of places throughout France, some with kids clubs.

We had a great 2 weeks at Les Restanques du St Tropez, and my sister loved the one at Belle Dune which is not that far from Calais. The one at Port Crouesty in on my list.

Also, just up the coast from Calais, the new Centerparcs at De Haan is walking distance to the beach - and De Haan is lovely. We stayed there when it was still part of Sunparks. The variable weather is the only big downside, as the Belgian coast is fab, with loads to do, and the most excellent huge sandy beaches.

SharonGless Sun 02-Jan-11 17:26:06

Pra d'elle Torri near Venice. In fact any of the campsites along that coastline look pretty good.

WisteriaWoman Mon 03-Jan-11 16:04:30

Great suggestions - thanks.
DH doesn't want to go to a Eurocamp but now I'm thinking of going to one he's getting a bit miffed. His big hobby is walking - do any of the sites have good walking nearby so he can trot off for a day's hiking while I sit on the sun lounger?

Back story.....
(Normally our holidays are me driving him to the start of a walk and then picking him up a few hours later after I've spent the intervening time trying to entertain DD - not much fun)

SaggyHairyArse Mon 03-Jan-11 17:52:21

Any of the Italian Lakes sites or the ones in Slovenia/Croatia/Northern Spain would be good for walkers i'd have thought.

Pantofino Mon 03-Jan-11 17:59:17

Eurocamp do one near Interlaken in Switzerland as I recall. Great for walking, but we were there for a few days this summer and the weather was crap!

Oh let me find the link for the Kinderhotel type places in the Dolomites. More expensive, but child care, spas and walking galore!

Pantofino Mon 03-Jan-11 18:04:02

Kinder Hotels here and FamilienHotels

Loads of activities, pools, nice food AND walking on your doorstep. We drove through the Dolomites in July. The scenery is stunning and it was HOT.

dreamingofsun Mon 03-Jan-11 18:51:42

coastal paths in brittany?

Dysgu Mon 03-Jan-11 19:36:19

The Eurocamp parks in Holland are GREAT for children - Beekse Bergen at Hilvarenbek (sp?) has a water park, safari park and road train all on site and all included in the holiday.

Duinrell at Wassanaar (sp?) has a theme park on site - again included in the holiday.

As for walking, Holland is very flat and great for long walks along the canals, days trips to Amsterdam, Delft etc and loads of cycling.

We have been to several Eurocamps - Berny Riviere in France is nice too with hedges around the pitches and mobile homes in pairs rather than long rows.

We usually make sure we have 3 bedrooms for the 4 of us (and DDs are only small and share a rooms) so we have a spare room for storage and stuff.

We usually book the most expensive we can afford - this year there are some lovely looking mobile homes - look at the Mezzanine on the Eurocamp site.

And each year we get a bigger discount for booking with them again!

Enjoy!

lulalullabye Mon 03-Jan-11 19:43:06

We went to Brittany last year and on advice from trip advisor we found a site we liked then booked with the site direct, the site we chose was part of the sunelia group. we found that we were amongst french, belgique and dutch people and it was lovely and quiet. The pitches were bigger and the mobile homes better. The eurocamp mobile homes were all together and sad to say full of england flags and naked torso beer drinkers( hangs head in snobbery shame).

lulalullabye Mon 03-Jan-11 19:44:02

and it was about 3-400euros cheaper. Ours was a 2 hr drive from Roscoff.

loola2snowshus Tue 11-Jan-11 23:11:16

I know that this is an old thread but can anyone tell me how easy it is to get to Lido campsite from Rome Airport? TIA

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: