Talk

Advanced search

IoW Ferries - when/what to book

(11 Posts)
StanHouseMuir Fri 31-Dec-10 10:48:05

I've booked somewhere on the IoW for Mon(30th May) - Fri and wondered when it's best to book the ferry (car+5), now or nearer the time? Can anyone recommend the best/cheapest/flexible. Thanks.

MaggieW Fri 31-Dec-10 15:04:29

I'd book now, if you're sure of your dates. We went in May last year and I thought I could leave it nearer to the time, but when I booked, the availability was quite a bit more limited than when I initially looked. I don't think the price was vastly different but it was that quite a few sailings were no longer available and we ended up going from a different port on the way out.

StanHouseMuir Fri 31-Dec-10 16:10:14

Thanks for that. Where did you go from? I'm favouring Southampton to Cowes (red funnel) at the moment (less driving)

ChippyMinton Fri 31-Dec-10 16:37:06

Check with the accommodation provider whether they have a ferry deal - most will have some sort of special rate.

sharbie Fri 31-Dec-10 16:39:03

yes soton to cowes v convenient but all is v exp for such a short journey

McDreamy Fri 31-Dec-10 16:46:55

Red funnel is loads cheaper than IOW ferries. We used them in the summer and they were fine. You are only on there for an hour so don't need much!

McDreamy Fri 31-Dec-10 16:48:29

We booked at the last minute in the summer hols with no problems. They also put us on an earlier ferry coming home when we got to the port earlier than expected!

babyjojo Fri 31-Dec-10 17:13:55

We went in May this year and booked our Ferry using Tesco Clubcard vouchers. Might be worth a look!

herdingcats Fri 31-Dec-10 17:17:15

I booked with tesco clubcard vouchers this year and have done the same for next year. We're there the same time as you (taking a camper van) it was £166.50 so cost me £1.50 +postage. Bargain grin

StanHouseMuir Fri 31-Dec-10 17:42:04

IoW Ferries and Red funnel have similar prices for the dates we're interested in, roughly £34 each way for a car.

sharbie Fri 31-Dec-10 18:52:58

sounds about right - i wd def book before i went though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now