Talk

Advanced search

recommendations for resorts in canaries

(8 Posts)
hermioneweasley Wed 29-Dec-10 13:58:50

we are planning a big family holiday next october half term. were thinkning that canaries would be good - relatively short flight and good temperatures.

We're looking for a resort with good facilities for kids - playground, kids pools etc. doesn't have to be all inclusive, but don't want to hire cars so needs to have restaurants on site or nearby.

Kids will range from 15 months to 5.5

can any one recommend a location you've been to?

Bernie8 Wed 29-Dec-10 14:11:16

we went to the Abama in Tenerife last Oct half term and loved it. They have lots of restaurants, 7 pools (including 1 that is adults only smile, a beach they will drive you too by golf buggy and a kids club from 10 am until midnight. Would definitely advise booking restaurants in advance and going half board to keep down the additional food costs but thought the quality and range of food was excellent. Fabulous spa also but expensive. Great golf course + tennis courts too. Take a look at their website. We booked through a company called Tots Too who can give you good advice on that particuar hotel as well as others. Happy holidays!

hermioneweasley Fri 14-Jan-11 11:31:12

thanks Bernie8 - any other recommendations?

dietqueen Fri 14-Jan-11 13:37:48

Bitacora
Marylanza or Sandos Bans

bacon Sat 15-Jan-11 15:04:34

Tenerife is very expensive and you have to go to the top end hotels for nice family friendy. Eating out wasnt cheap (unless you like frozen to deep fried) The Duque region is the best and some of tenerife is pretty nasty. Abama, Anthelia, Bhina are the best but $$$$.

Watch also lots of these holtels are child friendly but do not offer early sittings so your going to struggle feeding the youngest. Because you have two children you'll need interconnecting rooms as most hotels will not have room for 3 beds + cot.

What are you going to do with the children in the evening? I found childcare was the only option - my children are 8pm at latest. Childcare £12ph plus. Staying in a hotel room isnt the nicest option seeing at you are paying top wack for time away.

gordonpym Sat 15-Jan-11 18:15:17

Las Americas is 6km long. The two far ends are nice and pretty. Stay away from Las Veronicas, PLaya Troya, Puerto colon, San eugenio... and concentrate your search in either playa de duque (Anthelia very nice, Grand Hotel Costa Adeje or the Sheraton) or Playa las Vistas (hotel H10 conquistador, park europe, Marenostrum).
All these will have kids club and connecting rooms.
You can eat very well in tenerife if you know where to go, and spend only 7 euro for fish: bar El Cine in Los Cristianos, so famous, or Restaurante El gomero, ...I have plenty of recommendation if you need them.
I hate am not a big fan of Fañabe, first because all Restaurants there are pure tourist crap , second the beach is dirty and noisy, all bars have big screens with sport channel and last, it is such a pity to be in tenerife and end up there.

mollymole Sat 15-Jan-11 18:24:22

try porto mogan in gran canaria

bacon Sun 16-Jan-11 11:44:52

You can eat very well in tenerife if you know where to go, and spend only 7 euro for fish: bar El Cine in Los Cristianos, so famous, or Restaurante El gomero

Wish I had known about these. We eat along the promanarde and it was poor still came to £70 for three of us! We found a lovely restaurant in the fishing village above Duque but once again the meal was ok (not amazing) £80 for two.

Even the nice sandwhich bars were pretty pricey.

Would always recommend getting the hotel minibar emptied and fill it with loads of stuff from the supermarket. There are options to hire all equipment from the hotels etc - fans, fridges etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now