Talk

Advanced search

London buses and babies

(8 Posts)
SXMummy Wed 29-Dec-10 11:07:11

Hi, ive never used a London bus before with a baby. Their website mentions that buggies can be used but can prams fit? Specifically a bugaboo? With the pram / carry cot fitting as my baby is very young still. Or do i use the car seat instead on it perhaps? Anyone have experience of this please? I can't face the embarrassment of a bus full of people laughing at me if I get told I can't use one! Thank you everyone.

gregssausageroll Wed 29-Dec-10 11:20:27

I;d imagine they will be like out local buses and it is a spot that should be for wheelchairs. If not in use you just wheel your pram straight on. If someone is already using the space and you want to get on you need to fold the pram donwn.

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 29-Dec-10 11:29:48

If there isn't a wheelchair or other prams in the space you can use it - if there's already 2 prams/pushchairs on the bus driver won't let you on and you'll have to wait for the next bus. If you're in the space and a wheelchair user gets on then you'll need to fold it down or get off.

notrightnow Wed 29-Dec-10 11:38:01

It's also very difficult on some routes anyway as you have to go through the narrow part by the stairs of a double decker to get to the wheelchair/buggy space - nightmarish if it's busy for you and everyone else on the bus!. I'd use a sling if baby is tiny, or a folding pushchair if the baby's older - much less hassle.

iwantavuvezela Wed 29-Dec-10 11:39:50

A bugaboo can be hard to get down the aisle if you are using a front entry bus (remembers this well!) but on the whole london buses are easy to use, and most people will even offer you a hand to get on and off - it doesn't matter it you use the carry cot or not, its the wheels on the bugaboo that are wide! But not insurmountable (remembers again!) No one will laugh, don't you know most Londoners will be buried in a book or over a phone! There is usually space for about 2-3 prams on each bus, but you wont be allowed on if they are already taken up ....
The buses like the 73 (bendy bus) are easy to use as big opening doors, and more place for prams .....
If possible use buses outside or commuting times as it makes it easier and you might even find a seat!

notcitrus Wed 29-Dec-10 12:23:08

Those very small bugaboos are OK, but the wide ones don't get down the aisle well. If you're going to be using buses much get a Maclaren XT or similar narrow buggy (fine from birth).

Sometimes takes some wriggling to get your buggy sideways in the space, but it's always feasible to get two on. Bendy buses or the short bendy-like ones are easier.

Don't forget that the spaces are actually for wheelchairs so if someone needs to get on you'll need to fold your pram or get off the bus.

And avoid the rush hour, mainly because it'll be quicker to walk anyway! The TFL.gov Journey Finder can show you step-free routes on the Tube as well as buses.

SXMummy Wed 29-Dec-10 18:36:26

This is brilliant! Thank you very much for your replies. Helps me a lot!! Feel much less daunted for our first jaunt out now together

kslatts Wed 29-Dec-10 20:56:26

If the bus is busy, pay your fare and then ask the driver if you can use the middle doors.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: