Talk

Advanced search

Transport issues/insurance pre holiday?

(7 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 08:19:34

I travel next week

With all this snow, I was wondering what the deal was with insurance & travelling

So if the AA say no un-necessary journeys; what do I do - it's a 3hr car trip

Then if the airports close; what happens then?

sailorsgal Sat 18-Dec-10 11:28:54

If you can't get to the airport and the flight takes off they you are not covered. Simon Calder was talking about this on the news this morning.

If the airline cancel they have to put you on the next available flight if there are seats. You do get bumped to the back of the queue.

Did you book a package? you should be covered. Speak to your insurance broker to check though.

KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 14:41:31

I wonder if my insurance would cover me

If the airport is closed, its all very worrying

Wottknottandmincepies Sat 18-Dec-10 18:24:44

Speak to your Travel Agent on Monday. If the flights cancelled more options are available to passengers. Sadly until that time, you just have to check the airport and airlines websites and get there on time for your flight. If you are delayed in getting to the airport (car, public transport) and the flight is not cancelled and operates, that's your fault, but you may be covered for "delay on getting to the airport" on your holiday insurance. Check the policy wording.

KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 19:43:31

So if they say 'it isn't safe to travel' we may still be stuffed hmm

sailorsgal Sat 18-Dec-10 20:04:57

Yes probably, not fair I know. Read the small print on your policy.

Wottknottandmincepies Sun 19-Dec-10 10:49:53

But getting to the airport to catch a flight is necessary.

Going to Tescos to buy some furry gloves would be un-necessary.

It will be fine by then - positive thinking, clears the snow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now