Talk

Advanced search

What currency for Turkey?

(9 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 14-Dec-10 11:54:34

What do they use - I really don't have a clue

esor Tue 14-Dec-10 11:58:30

Turkish lira is the currency they use although in most shops they will take stirling, not sure how they feel about the Euro but last time we were there it was also an accepted currency. Some of the best exchange rates for lira can be found in the jewellery shops.

KatyMac Tue 14-Dec-10 15:08:24

Thanks - it's a bit confusing

Chaotica Tue 14-Dec-10 15:12:45

Nowhere took euro or stirling where we were in Turkey (and we weren't off the beaten track).

Greenshadow Tue 14-Dec-10 15:13:41

Yeah, they tend to use both Lira and Euros equally in the touristy areas. We found most things were marked in Euros.

KatyMac Tue 14-Dec-10 15:26:01

Can I ask where & when each of you went please?

Greenshadow Tue 14-Dec-10 15:34:34

We went to Side this August.

KatyMac Tue 14-Dec-10 16:08:02

Thanks

Nefret Wed 22-Dec-10 11:26:59

The best thing to do is take a small amount of lira with you, say £50, and then either take sterling and change into lira as you get a higher exchange rate there, or withdraw lira from the ATMs over there.

You can use sterling to pay for trips and to buy clothes etc as you sometimes get a better rate that way.

I certainly wouldn't bother with euros as you could end up exchanging your money twice if they want lira.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: