Talk

Advanced search

Booking in advance; flight for baby not born yet?

(5 Posts)
TabithaTwitchet Sat 11-Dec-10 17:42:34

Was wondering if anyone has had to do this...

I am expecting a baby in June, and we are planning to travel overseas to a wedding and visit family in July.

We want to book the tickets before the baby is born, as it will be school holiday time, and probably more expensive if we wait.
We would plan to fly with Easyjet.

How can I book the flight when the baby has no name, and doesn't really exist yet? Can I book for the rest of the family and then add the baby to the booking later? Obviously the baby would travel free and on my lap anyway, but would it be allowed to add an extra passenger later, say if the flight was full?

Or do I have to book the baby at the same time - superstitously I really don't want to do this - and make up a name, and then have to pay a fee to amend it nearer the time confused.
Is it possible that an airline with more "frills" would be more accomodating? (In which case, we'll need to know, as we have to start saving asap)

Hope that isn't too confusing (I am certainly confused)

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 11-Dec-10 18:41:30

It might be airline dependent (we flew BA) but we booked flights whilst I was pregnant for when DD would be born and they wouldn't let us book a ticket for her as she technically didn't exist, which makes sense. So when she was born we just called with our booking reference and added her on, it wasn't a problem. Could you call EastJet and ask for their policy?

One other tip - allow plenty of time for taking passport photos and getting your DC their first passport as it can take weeks at peak time of year. We ended up taking photos when DD was 2 days old and DH driving to passport office and paying a small fortune, just to ensure we had her passport on time!

ledodgy Thu 16-Dec-10 07:55:52

I'm sure my friend had to do this and the baby was written in as baby X then she notified them when the baby was born and ey sent the complete details with e baby's name.

girlsyearapart Thu 16-Dec-10 08:10:39

We did and she was just booked on as Infant Surname
You ll have to ask when you book but it shouldn't be a problem

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 16-Dec-10 09:32:39

Did this before DD was born. I think we flew with Qatar air or it could have been BA. We used a physical travel agent though rather than book online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now