Talk

Advanced search

Completely dithery over next years summer hols, help us decide

(17 Posts)
rookiemater Wed 08-Dec-10 18:05:02

Have just had two weeks off in July agreed by my work, woo hoo!

However a) we never take two week holidays and b) this is the first time we have holidayed in the school holidays proper( Scotland) so don't know where will be too hot.

Main requirements are a)some sort of kids club or entertainmet - DS will be 5, he is an only and loves company b) either a lounge area or separate bedroom for DS to sleep in c) ideally somewhere within walking distance to shops and restaurants and ideally a beach and d) somewhere that isn't going to be unbearably hot at that time of year.

I am toying between radically different ideas which are either something like Insotel Punta Prima in Menorca (£££ but seems to meet the above requriements), going to Disneyland Florida and spending a week in a villa followed by a seaside hotel for a week ( bizarrely cheaper than Europe !)or c) Thomson Al Fresco as they have kids clubs and we would have our own space in the caravan, plus a lot cheaper.

Anyone have any thoughts or indeed done any of these options?

alypaly Wed 08-Dec-10 18:35:06

hakidiki is lovely in july and it has a nice breeze.

Sani Beach club in sani halkidiki is lovely

rookiemater Wed 08-Dec-10 20:21:27

Thanks for posting Are you sure that Hakidiki wouldn't be too hot, we were looking for somewhere late 20s?

alypaly Wed 08-Dec-10 23:57:16

Ive been in july and August and it has always been breezy.www1.directline-holidays.co.uk/Halkidiki%20Weather

this shows you the average temperature. if you find a place out of the breeze it will feel warmer but it has never been too hot. if anything, for me it wasnt hot enough.

www.sani-resort.com/en_GB here is the link to the sani group of hotels. we stayed at the sani beach hotel and spa. but the sani beach club has alot more children there and the whole place is just glorious.

really safe shallow beaches.pedestrianised,open air cinema, food caters for children and they can keep going back to try all the food, fantastic entertainments team. so relaxing ...and no lager louts.

lolcat Thu 09-Dec-10 00:49:12

We have done camping holidays in Europe for years and they have been very successful for us on the whole. I think that if you choose your campsite carefully and get the very best accommodation you can afford (make sure you get air con) then this could be the best choice.

Having said that, this year we went to Florida and to be honest it has kind of ruined holidays for us as we don't want to go anywhere else now but unfortunately it will be a long time until we can afford to go back. We went in October and the weather was perfect but it would be very hot and humid in July. My kids are a bit older than you DS and I am glad I didn't bring them when they were younger as it would have been hard work, but I have three and going with one might be a nicer calmer experience smile.

dreamingofsun Thu 09-Dec-10 09:45:48

second lolcat's 1st para - which i could have written. we've had loads of great holidays in brittany. i can recommend sites if you are interested having been to around 10 with different operators. would seem to have all your requirments, though obviously it can rain there - though not as much as on the south coast of england.

dreamingofsun Thu 09-Dec-10 09:46:43

we have never had air con though or felt the need for it in brittany - beautiful area like cornwall without the crowds and less rain

lolcat Thu 09-Dec-10 21:21:14

Yes air con probably only necessary if you are heading further south. We have mostly camped in Italy, Spain and the south of France and always seemed to hit on a heatwave.

rookiemater Thu 09-Dec-10 21:22:51

Thanks folks, we need to fly rather than drive as in Scotland so probably South of France or Italy rather than Brittany, if anyone can recommend any great campsites that would be really helpful

Thanks

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 10-Dec-10 08:39:46

I'd say camping in Croatia. We did it a couple of years ago. DD (another only) adored the children's club at the campsite.
Another bonus, is the cost. Very cheap compared to countries in the eurozone.

rookiemater Fri 10-Dec-10 09:01:27

Thanks Kreecher, we are about to go away for the weekend so apologies in advance if I don't respond to anyone.

Did you stay in a tent, and did they also have caravans, have to admit would prefer a caravan (softy smiley). Which campsite was it?

Portofino Fri 10-Dec-10 10:44:14

We're going to La Carabasse in Languedoc with Siblu the first 2 weeks in July. We have been a few times with Siblu and Canvas and find that whilst WE might fancy a bit more luxury, dd has such a fantastic time with the pools and kids clubs/playgrounds that we all enjoy ourselves.

Portofino Fri 10-Dec-10 10:46:30

La Carabasse has a huge pool and is walking distance to the beach, shops and restaurants, mini golf and a fun fair. There is bike hire and a bus stop right outside. We will drive but it sounds for the reviews that you could fly and manage without a car if you didn't want to hire one. Oh and you get a MN discount! grin

QueenofWhatever Fri 10-Dec-10 13:47:19

Have you looked at Eurocamp and Keycamp holidays? Mobile home so semi-civilised and kids clubs. I am an LP with a 6yr old DD and am planning on doing that for my summer hols this year. Been to Normandy when she was younger and it was great. I'm thinking of Venice or the Loire this year.

Portofino Fri 10-Dec-10 19:26:26

Union Lido is a great site, Queen. Big though.

rookiemater Mon 13-Dec-10 15:19:04

Thanks all, Union Lido gets good reviews on trip advisor

lolcat Mon 13-Dec-10 23:46:51

We have been to Norcenni Girasole campsite in Tuscany and would recommend it. Have also been to Bella Italia in Lake Garda and it is lovely too but it was jam-packed in June so I would imagine it is absolutely heaving in July. The Lake Garda area is fab though - the southern half has lots of attractions for families - and there is plenty of campsites to choose from.

Camping Playa Bara near Tarragona in Spain is also a very good campsite (dont think Thomson al Fresco are there though, it's mainly Eurocamp and Canvas).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: