Talk

Advanced search

Snow & travel to/from Scotland

(11 Posts)
PGWomble Sun 28-Nov-10 14:30:21

Hi there, I'm due to travel up to Scotland at the end of this week on business. Flying London to Edinburgh first thing on Thursday morning, returning by train on Friday.

If anybody is reading this up in Scotland, is the weather as bad as the news reports suggest? I'm seven months pg so much as I love Edinburgh don't really want to get stuck up there on my own!

Given I'm flying (easyjet), what are my chances of getting up there in the first place!?

Many thanks for any thoughts!

gregssausageroll Sun 28-Nov-10 15:29:07

Edinburgh airport is currently closed due to heavy snowfall.

We're about 15 miles outside and it has been snowing all day. We've got about 6 inches and I am acutally scared about driving to work tomorrow.

Your trip however, isn't until Thursday so I'd leave it until Wednesday and call EJ and check both London and Edinburhg airport websites for updates.

meep Sun 28-Nov-10 15:37:00

there's about 4inches in south edinburgh - the sun did sneak out this afternoon though - but no sign of it melting yet.

The sky is now pink and it looks gorgeous (from inside my warm cosy house!)

gregssausageroll Sun 28-Nov-10 15:43:29

We're getting a bit pink now too meep.

A plane is just flying now so something must be open at Edinburgh.

PGWomble Sun 28-Nov-10 15:56:30

Thank you! Sounds beautiful up there, hope it not causing too many problems though

PGWomble Sun 28-Nov-10 15:56:48

Oops!

vintage4 Sun 28-Nov-10 16:10:15

we just got back from St Andrews/Dundee last night .We were at a festival and while St Andrews itself was beautiful we had a horrendous time on FridaY night travelling round and round in a blizzard in Dundee and could not find our hotel for 2 hours .It was a nightmare and the pavements in Dundee yesterday werte just like a skating rink . Our car was sliding all over the place NEVER buy a Citreon Picasso c4 7 seater .

Figgygirl Tue 30-Nov-10 11:46:55

My son managed to drive from the South to near Edinburgh on Sunday afternoon, ( to HMS Caledonia ) but they had more heavy snow on Sunday night, and he was given the day off yesterday. He sent us a photo, and it certainly does look quite deep!

PGWomble Tue 30-Nov-10 15:50:21

Thanks for your replies. In all my worrying about the weather in Scotland, I hadn't considered that we might have a blizzard here in central London to contend with too!

gregssausageroll Wed 01-Dec-10 21:16:35

I don't think you've got a hope of getting here tomorrow. The Airport is still closed!

Figgygirl Thu 02-Dec-10 00:33:17

My son is in Rosyth, near Edinburgh. He can't get home ( south of England ) at the moment. Airport closed, and trains not reliable if they go at all. Forth Bridge is closed. He said it has been snowing continuously and is now knee deep. His Naval Base has been shut down as too much snow, and they have been given leave if they can get home, but he is stuck there.
People were trying to dig out their cars to go home, but had to give up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now