Talk

Advanced search

Airlines that don't have infant seatbelts

(4 Posts)
Gangle Sat 27-Nov-10 22:36:23

Does anyone know why most US airlines don't carry infant seatbelts? Surely it's much safer in an accident to have an infant secured in some way? What's the best alternative? Will probably have DS2 , 8 months, in a Baby Bjorn sling but wondering if he would be worse off in an accident as he would also have my body weight behind him. Anyone know?

gregssausageroll Sun 28-Nov-10 09:25:55

Do they not even have the belt that goes through the adult belt?

I thought they all carried these.

Gangle Sun 28-Nov-10 15:38:16

No, they were the ones I was referring to and no, not even those!

ZebrasAreSpotty Sun 28-Nov-10 23:26:03

To be brutal...in most plane accidents, seatbelts wouldnt save you or your child.

A lot of airlines think those infant belts give a false sense of security to the parents, who think they then dont have to hang on to their child. American carriers in particular are terrified of being sued by the parent whose child bangs his head whilst standing up on his parent's lap despite having a belt round him (and my kids have done this themselves).

Your sling is a good way to carry him as long as your belt is securely done up in case of a hard landing, sharp braking, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now