Talk

Advanced search

Seat booking ....big con????

(12 Posts)
mosschops30 Mon 22-Nov-10 11:38:27

I would normally say yes, because when we go with the dcs every year there are 5 of us so we can take almost a whole row so are always sat together depsite never paying for 'sit together'.

However me and dh taking our first child free holiday together in January and I keep thinking how awful it would be if we didnt sit together, or where I like to sit (aisle seat near the front).
We're not going at a peak time but I keep thinking that 2 random adults could end up being sat anywhere.

Its only £15pp, should I just pay it so that our trip starts well??

happyland Mon 22-Nov-10 11:39:51

Depends how long the flight is? If it's not long I wouldn't bother I don't think.

mosschops30 Mon 22-Nov-10 11:43:50

Its 4.5 hours which to me is an age, hate flying and normally manage 2 hours a year

trice Mon 22-Nov-10 11:44:50

We didn't used to bother to book seats either. I travel alone with three small children, so I assumed that we would have to be put together anyway. Airline regs say that children have to be in the care of an adult in case of emergency. However last time we flew with jet2 all the seats that were in pairs were already pre booked by folk checking in online. The stewardess asked if anyone would be prepared to move but as people had paid for their seats no-one offered to shift.

The result was that the three children were spread out around the cabin where I couldn't even see them. I had a lovely peaceful flight in a seat on an emergency exit. And dd was sick in a grumpy mans lap.

So - yes, pay.

franke Mon 22-Nov-10 11:46:14

Are you able to check-in online? Depending on the airline you can check-in anything from 24-72 hours before the flight. I always do this as early as possible and I've never had a problem.

mosschops30 Mon 22-Nov-10 11:54:28

its thomson so dont think so

angel1976 Mon 22-Nov-10 14:51:24

Pay. I flew with Thomson last year with DH and 18-month-old and they seated us apart. It was awful - 12.5 hours flight. On way back, we coughed up and paid to be seated together... If it matters to you, then yes I will pay up. The money grubbers They wouldn't care less otherwise whether you seat together or not.

mosschops30 Mon 22-Nov-10 16:45:42

have booked it now. Its a special holiday for us so dont want it to start on a bad note. Thanks smile
Sorry you had such a bad deal with them, we normally go with Thomson and dont have any problems

angel1976 Mon 22-Nov-10 19:39:08

Enjoy! grin

I was just appalled they couldn't see sense in putting us together (especially when we could see couples sitting in a row of three with the third 'seat' for their luggage!). I don't have a sense of entitlement but I thought honestly, how much would anyone on the flight enjoy it if my 18-month-old screamed the whole flight for either me or dad?!!! As it were, my DS1 screamed during take-off and the lady behind me was very quick to want to change seats. If looks could kill... angry Anyway, c'est la vie, we survived...

PinkElephantsOnParade Tue 23-Nov-10 17:42:14

Isnt it illegal to seat an 18mth child on their own?

angel1976 Tue 23-Nov-10 19:26:19

DS1 didn't have a seat as he was under 2 but we were relying on having two seats together so that we could put the arm rest up and he could have a lie down. So was appalled to find DH and I seated apart, which meant DS1 was to be on either of our laps for the whole flight!

PinkElephantsOnParade Wed 24-Nov-10 09:09:29

angel, TBH you got off lightly.

When my DCs were 3 and 5 I was on a Lufthansa flight and they wanted to put me, DH and DCs in four different corners of the plane. So Dcs would have been entirely alone.

I dealt with that by telling stewardess that both DCs would scream their heads off if they were forced to sit alone and as she was not allowing their parent to care for them I was making her personally responsible for them for the entire flight.

She then decided to ask other passengers to move around so each DC could sit next to a parent.

I didn't get around to arguing about the legality of sitting such young children on their own but they only cared when I threatened them with being responsible for 2 screaming kids for 3 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now