Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Mexico or the Caribbean just for a week?

(15 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 22-Nov-10 10:58:47

I'm not sure if the long flight and jetlag is worth it for a week? I only want to go for a week cos DS is not coming and I don't want to leave him any longer. We are hoping to go January or February and there's not much closer to home that has sunbathing in bikinis on the beach weather at that time of year.

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 22-Nov-10 12:00:15

Haven't done it myself but DH does it all the time with work and know loads of friends who regularly do it. Think you'll have a great time and you can minimise jetlag by forcing yourself (as much as poss!) to get round to new timezone the night you get there, just don't go to bed too early on night 1 and you should be good!

Sushiqueen Mon 22-Nov-10 13:27:24

We did Cancun (well near there)for a week.

We had a brilliant time and I don't remember suffering at all.Either when we arrived there or on the way back.

Just regretted that we couldn't go for longer.

Hersetta Mon 22-Nov-10 13:33:43

We've been to the Dominican republic for a week 3 times. We've also done just a week in Jamaica, all with no ill effects.

if you want somewhere a little nearer with guaranteed sun, how about Egypt, the cape Verde Islands or Dubai, all of which are around 6 hrs with not such a big time difference so easier on your body clock.

Wottknott Mon 22-Nov-10 14:55:35

Non stop Caribbean flights are approx 8 hrs outbound, and 7.5 inbound (usually quicker) due to the Atlantic tradewinds. UK flights depart early to mid morning and return flights are overnight flight - so you return on morning of the 8th day. It's not a problem. We are 4 hours ahead of the Caribbean now (5 hours in summer). When you arrive back in the UK, you go to bed early the first night and get an extra 4 - 5 hours sleep. All fixed by the next day.

nappyaddict Mon 22-Nov-10 16:35:27

Egypt and Cape Verde not really warm enough that time of year. Dubai might be OK but I didn't want to be restricted by their laws. Me and DP want a nice romantic relaxing break and not have to worry about remembering not to kiss and hold hands in public etc.

Lizzylou Mon 22-Nov-10 16:37:40

We went to Barbados for a week, pre-dc.
Was lovely, went in late October so not massively warm and even though I was pg didn't suffer for the flights/time difference.

porcupine11 Mon 22-Nov-10 16:40:53

DH also does this often for work - make sure you get a direct flight there, not via US, and you'll be good. Jet lag only really affects him after the return journey, but then you'll be grumpy after returning to rainy UK anyway, so can pass it off as holiday blues!

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 22-Nov-10 16:48:04

We have done Barbados for October half term on several occasions - we did find that we were waking up very early for the first couple of days - and DS2 found it very difficult to stay awake in the evening when we first started going, although he got better as he got older.

But to be honest, it doesn't really matter because you're on holiday! You can get up really early and go to bed really early if you want to!

Hersetta Mon 22-Nov-10 16:55:34

How hot to you want it to be? Egypt was 27 degrees when we went in December and it will be warmer in Feb. Cape Verde has year round temps of around 30 degrees. My friend went last Febuary and it was very hot.

sparklyjewlz Mon 22-Nov-10 16:59:46

We went to Barbados for a week after Christmas and it was probably my favourite holiday ever!

nappyaddict Mon 22-Nov-10 17:01:23

Oh I was led to believe Cape Verde and Egypt was about 21-24 in January.

I want it to be warm enough to spend the days at the beach sunbathing in my bikini and swimming in the sea.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 22-Nov-10 17:15:52

Mine too, sparklyjewlz!

LetThereBeRock Mon 22-Nov-10 17:53:53

I went to The Domincian Republic a few years ago.The flight time was 8-9 hours and we had no problems with jet lag at all.

EssexBecca Thu 25-Nov-10 21:55:27

I've been to Barbados for one week - well worth it. Barbados is actually the closest of the caribbean islands (I think) so the flight is shortest. Def direct flights only I would say though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: