Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New York in January

(6 Posts)
cori Sun 21-Aug-05 20:16:20

Its our 10 th wedding anniversary in January.
We want to go to New york to celebrate. I know it is very cold that time of year. I was thinking with all the snow it might be quite romantic ( rather like our honeymoon), but is it too cold to enjoy ourselves and see the sights? or should we delay the trip and celebrate in April?

Earlybird Sun 21-Aug-05 20:32:43

I'd vote for April. January can be colder than you imagine, and it's not exactly romantic getting into/out of 4 layers of clothes.

turquoise Sun 21-Aug-05 20:43:04

I'd say April too. January will be very very cold, and I think it was last year they had record freak amounts of snow (we certainly did in New Jersey).
Also fun things like the circle line are shut in winter.

Frizbe Sun 21-Aug-05 20:44:51

I'd go for April, as very cold, on the other hand if you want to team your trip with ice skating in central park and ski-ing in NY State, Jan is fine!

MeerkatsUnite Mon 22-Aug-05 08:08:02

April is far better than January in NYC. It can get extremely cold there in January.

Blu Mon 22-Aug-05 12:08:46

I've been to NY in January - yes, freezing, the icy wind whistles down the avenues, but it was romantic and beautiful, and we had a great time. It's not grey and feezing, like London, but bright, and crisp.
Keeping warm in little diners and bars, the museums, shopping in Bloomingdales, and with a down jacket and a warm hat with earflaps we did Central Park and Ellis island, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now