loader

Talk

Advanced search

New Year in Edinburgh...Hotel, cottage recomendations please

(41 Posts)
beetroot Sun 21-Aug-05 19:00:46

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:03:50

It is very busy! But I expect that you know that already!Are they doing the ticket thing for Princes St this year? Does anyone know?

And if they are do you have a ticket?

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:04:19

It is very busy! But I expect that you know that already!Are they doing the ticket thing for Princes St this year? Does anyone know?

And if they are do you have a ticket?

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:04:37

Sorry 'puter went odd!

beetroot Sun 21-Aug-05 19:04:44

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:08:22

I honestly don't know if they are doing it this year. They have done in the past. Locals get first 'go' at getting tickets and then there is a ballot. BIL went a few years ago and MIL got the lickets as she lives in Edinburgh. You might be better finding out if this is still happening....it would be a waste of cash if you couldn't get in to all the festibvities!

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:09:36

have a shufti at this

http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/

tamum Sun 21-Aug-05 19:10:30

Hello my dears

You do need a ticket if you want to be in the centre. The details of how to get one are here . Flats I don't know about- Festival flats doesn't operate at hogmanay. The Witchery would be a fab place to stay if you happen to be millionaires, but I think all the real city-centre hotels will be expensive. I will try and think....

tamum Sun 21-Aug-05 19:11:00

Bum, that took me so long you beat me to it

tamum Sun 21-Aug-05 19:12:09

Incidentally, I don't think locals get first go any more, I think that was just the first couple of years.

beetroot Sun 21-Aug-05 19:12:48

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:12:51

at you living there!

Not going to be able to visit as I had hoped Pressure of work and all that.

I might get up during our half term

tamum Sun 21-Aug-05 19:18:55

Beety, they close off the centre completely, so I am not sure how it would work. They put barriers up everywhere, and it gets very crowded (tickets are to limit numbers, really). If you're already in the centre then I guess you would be alright, but I don't honestly know. My feeling would be that it would be worth ringing one of the big hotels and ask them, pretending that you are intending to stay. They do have a "thing" in Inverleith Park where you can see the fireworks really well, and they play the concert music over loudspeakers, and that's meant to be quite child-friendly, but it's not right in the centre. Hmm.

Hmb, I was just thinking that you must be coming here about now, what a shame. Maybe see you in October then?

beetroot Sun 21-Aug-05 19:20:30

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:20:33

Not sure yet how long we will be in Edinburgh, we are going over to Ayr to scatter some of late FILs ashes (long pointless story which I will omit!). So it is all a bit up in the air. I'll CAT you when I know what is what, if that is OK

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:21:35

And Inverlieth park is quite nice as long as you avoid the goose droppings!!!! MIL lives near there so we know it well!

tamum Sun 21-Aug-05 19:25:28

You might be better off just outside the cordon, yes. There are lots of places to see the fireworks from, they set them off from all the hills usually. The torchlight procession is quite child-friendly (on the 30th, I think), so there will be loads to do apart from the concert. I think it would be a bit more relaxing to be outside the immediate centre in many ways, as you'd have much more freedom of movement. There's a hotel called Channings that is meant to be nice which is only 10 minutes walk from Princes St but outside the cordon.

tamum Sun 21-Aug-05 19:28:56

Channings , and details of their New year breaks here - note free party tickets!

beetroot Sun 21-Aug-05 19:35:36

Message withdrawn

beetroot Sun 21-Aug-05 19:42:18

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:47:54

How about this that sleeps 10

http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/james-square-51.10/

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 19:49:16

or this

http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/wintonhillfarmhouse/
Even bigger but further out

beetroot Sun 21-Aug-05 20:00:45

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Sun 21-Aug-05 20:02:10

Finding somewhere in the city that sleeps 20 will be tough I think. I think your best bet will ither be further out, or a series of linked holiday cottages IYSWIM.

tamum Sun 21-Aug-05 20:06:27

How about serviced apartments ? You can only put a number up to 15 in the box, but there are lots close together, so maybe 2 close to each other would do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now