Talk

Advanced search

Oktoberfest

(14 Posts)
kiwibella Fri 16-Jul-10 21:11:47

yes? no? experiences please grin.

MaryBS Sat 17-Jul-10 19:21:20

My brother went some years ago, and had a great time. He said he only got drunk twice
once for 2 days and once for 3 days!

Not a great deal of help really, but at least I'm bumping it for you

kiwibella Sun 18-Jul-10 10:17:43

I'm wondering if I'm too old for this now grin.

AncientStarlight Sun 18-Jul-10 13:30:47

DH has been and got very hung over. I love Munich, it's a very friendly city, but I prefer it when it's not full of foreigners like me grin

Badpups Mon 19-Jul-10 20:15:20

I went about 10 years ago (I was early 30s then) - long before children.

We have friends in Munich and they said that locals never go to it or, if they do, they only go midweek! The beer tents which are huge get full before lunch time at weekends. It's definitely an experience and I'm glad I went but am far too old now (I wouldn't have the stamina)!!!

LetThereBeRock Tue 20-Jul-10 21:19:31

Most definitely yes. I went a few years ago and loved it.

Munich is such a wonderful city,so beautiful,safe and clean. It's a wealthy town,and it shows.I'd love to live there.

I don't drink alcohol at all and I had a wonderful time there.

It's a family friendly festival.The locals go with their children,there's a huge carnival with some fun rides.

When I went the weather was generally lovely. We couldn't get into the beer tents as they were so full but sitting outside on the tables in the sunshine was much nicer.

I loved the food too. It's calorific for sure but so good,particuarly the roast chicken. I don't know what they do to it but it's incredible.

I'd avoid the Hofbrauhaus tent which is where the real hardcore drinkers go,usually the Aussies and Kiwis,though I loved the actual Hofbrahaus, but there are a number of tents with different atmospheres. There's also a wine tent which is much more sedate.

There were plenty of locals when I was there, but I was there for 8 days and met a lot of them.

I won't be going again this year unfortunately but I can't wait to go back, and there's so much to see and do in Munich. Great shops too.

kiwibella Wed 21-Jul-10 21:00:45

blush

I am a kiwi... love a drink but have become a sad git and doubt I could keep up with my younger counterparts anymore even though I am in my 30s!!!

LTBR... did you do some sightseeing around Munich as well as going to Oktoberfest? Do you only need tickets for the beer tents then?

LetThereBeRock Wed 21-Jul-10 22:55:33

Yes I fitted in quite a lot of sight seeing.How could I not? It's such a beautiful city and went to Dachau and Neuschwanstein too. Two very different experiences but I recommend both in different ways.

I didn't need tickets for the beer tents. You generally don't though if there's a group of you going it's advisable to book a table and certainly get there early if you want to find a space in the tents.

Oh I went to the Andechs monastery too,though mostly for the food but it is a lovely place too.

LetThereBeRock Wed 21-Jul-10 22:56:42

Though Dachau is a very painful experience so perhaps best avoided until the end of your trip if you decide to go there.

But there's plenty of things to do in Munich and I happily went to Oktoberfest just about every day and never tired of it.

LetThereBeRock Wed 21-Jul-10 22:59:58

Oh and don't camp there. Camping is evil and I'd never do it again,no matter how much I was paid.

LetThereBeRock Wed 21-Jul-10 23:06:51

I have an Oktoberfest guidebook which I could send you if you like. I found it useful for learning about the etiquette/different styles of the beer tents/customs/ride guide/learning basic german etc.

kiwibella Thu 22-Jul-10 11:23:23

tempted, LTBR... feeling very tempted! I'll check out prices etc first... it's very kind of you to offer the guide book grin. I'll let you know as soon as I've convinced talked to my bf.

CleverPlansAndSecretTricks Wed 11-Feb-15 14:41:26

Hi OP! Are you still on mumsnet?? Did you end up going? How was it? DH and I love Munich but we had always written off Oktoberfest as too crowded and touristy. We have leave during it this year and wondering if we should rethink....

CleverPlansAndSecretTricks Wed 11-Feb-15 14:43:03

We would have DSs age nearly 5 and 2 with us but I have heard it is child friendly?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: