Talk

Advanced search

How do add my ipod library to itunes on new laptop?

(11 Posts)
mamamila Sun 08-Nov-09 13:53:19

Hi,
I'll be so happy if someone can help me. I've plugged my ipod into new laptop but itunes gives me message that ipod is registered to another computer and the only option i'm given is to erase the ipod library and replace with new itunes.
even my teenage son doesn't know how to do it so i'm lost.

RustyBear Sun 08-Nov-09 14:21:54

Have you still got the computer it's registered to? I think you have to deregister it first.

RustyBear Sun 08-Nov-09 14:26:27

Any help?

purepurple Sun 08-Nov-09 14:31:27

I would be interseted in how to do this. DH has an ipod that is registered to our old computer. That computer has now died. I can't fire it up. A lot of songs on his ipod are from cds and not from itunes.
When I plug it in to my laptop, I get the same message as mammila.
I really don't want to have to erase the entire ipod and have to upload them all again.
Any suggestions?

RustyBear Sun 08-Nov-09 14:42:45

Looks like you need to put your iPod in manual sync mode

geordieminx Sun 08-Nov-09 14:46:24

Proceed with caution.

If you plug an ipod into 2 differnent laptops it will corrupt it and you will loose music. I unfortunately learnt this the hard way.

You either need some software Irip or something.

Make sure you back your music up on a usb stick - not the harddrive.

Sorry I cant be of any more help - mine knacked, I managed to fix it (eventually) but I cant remember what I did - it was more luck than anything else!

mamamila Sun 08-Nov-09 14:55:04

thanks for links i'll check them all out

right now i'm attempting to copy the ipod straight into the itunes folder, it's taking a long time and not sure it will work

purepurple that's exactly my predicament the old laptop died, it's madness how un-user friendly these ipods are

i'll let you know if i succeed with the copy n paste, if not i'll return to consolidating directions.

mamamila Sun 08-Nov-09 15:34:51

it doesn't seem to have worked i can't find any copied music files

mamamila Sun 08-Nov-09 15:42:51

now i'm in the murky world of downloading free software which demads payments for registration, no doubt need to do a sweep for spyware after, it wastes so much time too, i'm supposed to be making biscuits ready for the aristocats...

purepurple Sun 08-Nov-09 16:09:51

I think I might just have to bite the bullet and replace everything.
DH is such a technophobe.
i haven't even got my own ipod.

BadgersPaws Sun 08-Nov-09 20:33:22

What Operating System do you use?

There are ways of doing this but they differ depending on what your machine is running. As a default the iPod and iTunes try to hide the music that you've got on your player.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now