Talk

Advanced search

Web design software recommendations please

(8 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 31-Oct-09 18:19:42

I'm looking for some web design software for dds Christmas present. She likes mucking about with html - with limited results. She is probably more competent than I am in using software packages (and I'm fairly comfortable on the pc)
I've looked at dreamweaver and can get that for £80 which is somewhat more than I'd hoped to pay.

Any recommendations please.

Also, any thoughts on where to host any successful creations?

Thanks

MrAnchovy Sat 31-Oct-09 20:54:20

I use and recommend these people for web hosting, and their basic package (£60 a year) comes with decent web design software (Serif WebPlus X2), although it is not a patch on Dreamweaver.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 31-Oct-09 22:08:51

Thanks

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 31-Oct-09 22:14:24

Posted too soon. I'll look into that one in the morning.

WebDude Tue 10-Nov-09 15:14:40

There's basic (but free) hosting for small websites with Heart Internet (www.heart-internet.co.uk) and the same Serif software can be bought online (from Serif, or others) for about 30 pounds, if that helps any...

WebDude Tue 10-Nov-09 15:22:16

Forgot to say - she would need a domain (from 5 to 10 pounds, typically for a .co.uk, .org.uk, or .me.uk) to be able to use the hosting at Heart, but there's no penalty for registering one with any firm, and making a transfer.

Given you may not want home address details out in public (the 'WHOIS' information) you can register a .uk domain and request that 'whois' details are withheld (this means that a lookup at www.nic.uk would not show your home address). All registration firms should offer this, though it is sometimes 'hidden away' on their registration forms.

A separate firm, www.name.com offers similar 'whois' privacy for free, and they offer a range of domain names, perhaps the cheapest being .info, at about $4 for the first year.

Alternatively, you could use www.123-reg.co.uk (which has a deal on until the end of the month) and is offering .info domains for 88p (offer code is info88 ) - just make the registrant DH and perhaps put address of DH's company, if that's preferred/acceptable, if you don't want home address used.

After 8 months, if DD is still keen, transfer the domain to name.com for a low 'transfer in' fee, and that will bump up the expiry date by a year. HTH.

WebDude Tue 10-Nov-09 15:53:10

Just double checked the e-mail and I got the 123-reg discount code wrong, sorry...

"To obtain their discounts your customers need to enter voucher code host2 for hosting and in88 for .info when prompted."

ie use in88 if you choose to register a .info domain for DD.

BadgersPaws Wed 11-Nov-09 09:03:41

It seems reasonably common that when you buy an internet connection from someone they also give you some web space to use. Certainly all of my ISPs have always given me some web space.

For personal, hobby or small business web sites that is usually all that is required.

So before you pay any money to anyone check out what your ISP gives you and see if you can do it for "free".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now