Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

let us take a moment to remember geocities on its last day of existence

(6 Posts)
JJ Mon 26-Oct-09 13:02:25

Is anyone else frantically downloading her nearly forgotten geocities website? Mine had frames! Whoo hoo. And lots and lots of old photos and movies.

Not exactly what I had planned to do this lovely autumn afternoon but I will admit I'm having fun and extremely nostalgic now.

Tee2072 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:17:20

Is that today? Well, its an easy way to get rid of a website I haven't even looked at in about 3 years!!

EyeballsintheSky Mon 26-Oct-09 13:18:45

OMG my pride and joy website is on geocities.....

Fuck!

<<dashes off>>

EyeballsintheSky Mon 26-Oct-09 14:48:37

Mine had frames too. I was so proud of it, crafted lovingly from scratch using html, none of your Dreamweaver nonsense. Hopefully I've got it all but <<sigh>> 'tis the end of an era... sad

WebDude Tue 27-Oct-09 16:41:13

You might be interested in www.archive.org (part of Google, I think) which goes around the web and may have copies of past pages of yours.... unless the site owners for geocities put in a "robots.txt" file that stops archiving.

JJ Tue 27-Oct-09 21:00:16

It doesn't have all of it, but should have some, definitely.

Mumsnet's old Talk board used to be a Discus message board and was located at http://www.mumsnet.com/discus . Just mentioning in case you're really bored and want to know what was being talked about way back when. The old discus messages aren't in the current searchable archive, unfortunately.

Eyeballs - I was using Dreamweaver then but still quite proud of it. We upgraded hmm to the homepage.mac.com site for photos and movies and now annoy people with them on facebook. What I really need to do is keep a very good backup of everything rather than posting stuff on random sites. I think I have an external hard drive sitting in an unopened box somewhere for that very purpose, eek.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now