Talk

Advanced search

laptop keyboard problems

(5 Posts)
snorkie Wed 21-Oct-09 10:15:32

some of the keys on my laptop keyboard have stopped working. Critically, all the passwords to the accounts use at least one non functioning key so I can't get at anything that's on it.

If I can beg/borrow or steal a USB keyboard & plug that in will it work straight away, or would I need to do some setup for it does anyone know?

Laptop runs XP btw.

zebramama Wed 21-Oct-09 10:21:51

Most USB keyboards will run without drivers on XP. The "extra" fluff keys might not work but your standard Querty / Number Pad and F-Keys should all be OK.
If you need to type the password in to logon plug the keyboard in before you power the machine on.
Zebradad.

snorkie Wed 21-Oct-09 11:03:04

Thanks zebradad - I'll try & get hold of one then.

RustyBear Wed 21-Oct-09 13:19:59

If you need to use your passwords before you can get hold of a keyboard, you can try finding a document you already have saved which contains the characters you need & C&P them to form your password, then C&P the whole thing into the password box

snorkie Thu 22-Oct-09 11:09:34

Thanks all! I now have a usb keyboard & it works fine smile. Before it arrived ds created a super administrator account with lots of priviledges & changed all the account passwords so I could log on. (Scarily easy actually - made me realise how little security there really is). I still couldn't reply to this before as there were too many duff keys for a coherent post.

Rusty, one of the non-fuctioning keys was the control one, so cut & paste wasn't possible (I have used that method in the past when the odd key isn't working) - but I couldn't access any documents before logging on in any case- this time. Most fustrating.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: