Talk

Advanced search

This is a lot to ask but ...

(21 Posts)
sillysalley Tue 20-Oct-09 17:46:38

How do you copy cd's?

I am no good with technical stuff, I can just abouts chat on mumsnet and buy on ebay and thats it.

But I REALLY need to copy 20 cd's for our school choir. I thought I was doing really well, by initially 'ripping' the cd onto my computer and then burning this onto a cd. The cd's play onto my computer but not a cd player

What am I doing wrong?

Please, I will be eternally greatful for anyone who can help, I need to have copied them for tomorrow blush

sillysalley Tue 20-Oct-09 17:54:45

Anyone - please grin

cocolepew Tue 20-Oct-09 17:58:54

That sounds right hmm are you sure it's CDs and not DVDs you're using?

cocolepew Tue 20-Oct-09 18:00:36

I can't believe I'm trying to answer a techy question....... grin

sillysalley Tue 20-Oct-09 18:00:56

Thanks for your reply, yes it is cd's Im using, I was just wondering if I had to format anything IYKWIM

Thanks a lot for your reply

cocolepew Tue 20-Oct-09 18:02:26

Oh. That's the limit of my techinical know how. Sorry. smile

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Tue 20-Oct-09 18:03:23

one of our nicer cd players wont play copies - our cheapo crappy ones will play copies. not helpful am i ,

silverfrog Tue 20-Oct-09 18:03:29

I am so not techy at all so may be just about to spout a load of nonsense...

I thought that cds made on a computer were of a specific type (no idea what though, but you know had a proper name, like those you see in technical specs of cd/dvd players)

so, the discs may be fine - it might be the cd player at fault, as it may not be of the right spec to play home made cds?

Mousey84 Tue 20-Oct-09 18:04:37

Coudl depend on what type of cd player you use too! One of mine plays home made cds, other doesnt.

What format was the song in when you copied it to cd?

cocolepew Tue 20-Oct-09 18:04:59

Oh that's right the cd player has to be able to play them.

cocolepew Tue 20-Oct-09 18:06:29

her might help scroll down

cocolepew Tue 20-Oct-09 18:08:17

Your cd player needs to be able to play cdr's. I think. hmm

sillysalley Tue 20-Oct-09 18:12:55

Thank you so much guys, I shall keep trying

LunaticFringe Tue 20-Oct-09 20:28:12

Message withdrawn

I did this once but had the setting wrong for burning cd's.
I had it set to burn it as an mp3 instead of an audio cd so it wouldn't play in anything and just sai d'no cd found'
Dh fixed it for meblush but I think the settings or tools or options in media player shoudl do it.

onagar Tue 20-Oct-09 21:10:55

I never use the built in windows system and I'm not sure it would always work for making duplicates that need to be exactly the same.

imgburn is free and will copy a CD or DVD to a single file (an image) and then you just click that image file to burn CDs from it over and over. All exactly the same as the original.

Jux Tue 20-Oct-09 21:17:29

You need to burn the file(s) as WMA or WAV. MP3 won't work. If you're starting with MP3 players you'll have to convert them first (pita, but there are downloadable progs to do it, some are even free!).

MrAnchovy Tue 20-Oct-09 23:27:27

onager is right, audio CDs don't contain mp3, wav or any other type of files, so the only way to copy them is to make an exact digital copy of the data - that is what imgburn does. Note that some copy protection schemes will stop imgburn from working.

You do have the permission of all the owners of copyrighted material to do this do you?

BadgersPaws Wed 21-Oct-09 01:13:41

No you can't burn as WAV or WMA, an audio CD is a very different beasty. You'll waste a cd if you try that

A very easy and quick fix is to download iTunes from Apple (you'll already have it if you use an iPod/iPhone). Import the cd. Copy the tracks to a new playlist. Right click on the playlist and select burn to cd (or something like that, I can check the exact option tomorrow).

You will loose some quality but I bet you won't notice.

throckenholt Wed 21-Oct-09 07:23:16

what software are you using ?

You have to finalise the disc to play elsewhere I think - some do this by default - other software needs it to be set as an option.

throckenholt Wed 21-Oct-09 07:25:18

if you have windows media player you can use that - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297015

an alternative is free software like burn4free - I have used both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now