Talk

Advanced search

anyone know anything about sony ibooks?

(14 Posts)
mamas12 Wed 14-Oct-09 23:27:26

Thinking of maybe getting dd one for xmas but I need to know
1. Can you get cards/tokens for them like itunes cards?
2. Can you exchange books between ibooks i.e. if she want s to have/borrow a book from someone else who has it on theirs?

If anyone has one and can reccomend them?

MrAnchovy Thu 15-Oct-09 01:32:26

By Christmas I predict three things will happen:

The new Kindle coming out this week is a poorer product than the Sony but will blow it away through availability of software (Betamax anyone?)

The rumoured Apple device will be just around the corner and will promise to blow everything away

Everyone will realise that the best format for portable music is an mp3 player: the best format for portable words is ... a book. Sony eBooks will be on eBay for £50.

Tee2072 Thu 15-Oct-09 07:32:34

I assume you mean the eReader? I loved the one I got to use for my job (had to give it back when I went on maternity leave grin) as it reads not only eBooks but PDF/Word/Excel etc.

But I agree with MrAnchovy. The Apple iBook (which is what I am assuming they will call it) will blow everything else out of the water when it comes out.

mamas12 Thu 15-Oct-09 22:21:59

oooh ta but when does it come out then Don't tell me after xmas.

teamcullen Thu 15-Oct-09 22:45:07

The amazon kindle is availible worldwide now although it has to be shipped from america. This is the one I want because you dont have to connect to a computer to download books. its got loads of other features like highlighting text, writing footnotes etc.

Some books have the option to listen to or read.

I think you might only be able to buy e-books from amazon though.

MrAnchovy- why is the sony e-reader better? I had a thread on here a while ago asking which was the best but didnt get much advice on which is the best model.

MrAnchovy Thu 15-Oct-09 23:52:00

teamcullen I think the Sony looks better, that's about it. My predictions were not entirely serious, perhaps I should have added a wink

nappyaddict Fri 16-Oct-09 14:55:02

Sorry to hijack but

TEAMCULLEN

I read on here you walk a 2.5 mile journey to school each day. How old are your kids and how long does it take? Do you walk back home again after dropping them off making it 10 miles a day you walk doing the school run?

teamcullen Fri 16-Oct-09 17:07:04

hi nappyaddict. my DSs are 7 and 10. they have been walking this journey for 18 months.
It takes about 40 minutes. I work in a nursery attached to the school until 1.30, so I dont have to walk back home but I do have to hang around the staffroom until 3pm until they finish school when we walk home again. On some occations I have to bring DS1 back to school for scouts in the evening, so on those days we will walk 10 miles.

WebDude Fri 16-Oct-09 23:29:08

"Apple iBook" - seems some Isle of Man firm has ibook.com registered since the end of the 90s, but Apple registered ibook.info in Feb 2001.

Interestingly, the IoM firm 'Family Systems' has been filing documents about a web based book system, which would legitimately mean they could use ibook as in "internet book" without Apple having any say on the matter, esp given the history of the domain registration and limited chance of claims by Apple for them needing the name back in the 90s - else they should have challenged years ago.

MrAnchovy Fri 16-Oct-09 23:40:46

The working name in the tech press seems to be iTablet. That doesn't really trip off the tongue though - how about iSlate (big wink)

BloodshotEyeballs Fri 16-Oct-09 23:45:38

Well their tablet won't be called an iBook whatever else it is as they've been there and done that. I'm holding out for whatever Apple comes up with and for my favourite series of books to make it to the digital world

mamas12 Sat 17-Oct-09 16:51:41

And what and when would that be bloodshot as I'm thinking of xmas
Can anyone else answer my original questions??

MrAnchovy Sat 17-Oct-09 17:41:05

Yes this has got a bit off topic so...

1. You can get the ebooks from lots of places so there isn't an equivalent of the the iTunes store monopoly, but you can use ordinary gift cards from Waterstones, WH Smith or Borders (maybe others) on their own web sites to buy and download ebooks.

There is also some good free content. Find out more from this page on Sony's site.

2. As far as I know you can only get content onto a Sony eReader by connecting it to a computer. Again AFAIK the ebooks have digital rights protection which means they can only be downloaded from the computer which purchased them.

mamas12 Sun 18-Oct-09 21:27:42

Mr anchovy I thank you
That was all very helpful.
Still don't know if I'll get it for her but am armed with more info. now. Ta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now