Advanced search

Blocked water drainage thingy in fridge - how to unblock?

(13 Posts)
Shitemum Mon 12-Oct-09 10:15:55

How do I unblock the little tubey bit the water drains into at the back inside? I have tried sucking out the gunk with a straw and have also tried poking a long flexible rod into it but it's still blocked. It is built into a cabinet so not easy to pull out from the wall...

thanks in advance...

brimfull Mon 12-Oct-09 10:18:09

eeew at sucking out the gunk-that was brave

don't know what to suggest as I always poke with stick thing-could you try a thinner stick/wire

Hassled Mon 12-Oct-09 10:19:00

What about a drop of one of those Mr Muscle type sink unblockers? Or an ear bud?

Shitemum Mon 12-Oct-09 10:23:26

ggirl - well, i didnt actually swallow the gunk it was carefully controlled gunk-sucking! grin
I could try a longer thinner wire but am not sure where it'll end up or if I'll just make it worse...

Hassled - it seems to be blocked way down inside. Is it ok to pour chemicals into that little hole?

Hassled Mon 12-Oct-09 10:26:19

I'd go for longer thinner wire with some cotton wool at the end first. I can't see why the chemical approach wouldn't work, though.

zazen Mon 12-Oct-09 10:27:28

I was going to post the exact same question today..

I've tried all of the above, and like you don't want to poke too far in with a wire or anything, as I don't know what I might get tangled up in / damage.

Would be interested in finding out how anyone else gets their fridge to behave grin

Shitemum Mon 12-Oct-09 10:33:46

ok, I'm going to try a bit more poking and also pouring in hot water, tho as it's so blocked it probably won't actually go in...

will report back later...

ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave Mon 12-Oct-09 10:34:51

Usually poke with cotton bud and wiggle it around a bit. But yours sounds a bt more determinedly blocked...

squashedfrogsandeyeofnewt Mon 12-Oct-09 11:06:52

I had this problem with my old fridge which was built into the unit. It turned out that it hadn't been installed properly and the tube running from the drain down the back of the fridge wasn't blocked but was bent/kinked so the water wasn't running down it. The fridge engineer finally suggested putting a screwdriver into the drain and pushing it as far in as possible until I could see the water sitting in the drain running away.

CruelAndUnusualParenting Mon 12-Oct-09 11:08:06

I used to use a thin skewer

WebDude Mon 12-Oct-09 23:28:23

I thought the water in that part was meant to be distilled, and chemicals might damage the condenser kit, leading to an expensive repair or needing a complete fridge replacement.

Sorry, could be wrong, but would hate for you to damage it and end up with a dead fridge!

CruelAndUnusualParenting Tue 13-Oct-09 11:44:54

If they're talking about the bit I used to have to unblock on my old fridge, it seemed catching condensation and draining it into a plastic tray at the back to evaporate.

RustyBear Tue 13-Oct-09 15:56:50

Mine has a tendency to freeze up - have you tried gentle heat?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: