Talk

Advanced search

lost my wireless connectivity - HELP!

(8 Posts)
totallyawesome Sun 11-Oct-09 17:43:42

the modem itself is ok, but my laptop has stopped recognising wireless networks. How do I get it back??

blush

Snorbs Sun 11-Oct-09 17:47:13

Most laptops with built-in wireless have a little light on them somewhere that comes on when wireless is turned on (even if it's not connected). Is that light on? Again, most laptops with built-in wireless also offer a quick way of turning it off by either a little switch somewhere or by a Fn-something key combination.

If you post what make/model laptop it is then I might be able to offer something more specific.

totallyawesome Sun 11-Oct-09 17:49:58

the modem light is on, a little doodah appears in the lefthand corner of my screen for a bit to show that it's working,

My laptop is a Toshiba - do you need more than that?

Gawd.... I speak several languages... but not techie. ARGH!!!

shonaspurtle Sun 11-Oct-09 17:51:34

I've got a Toshiba. I sometimes find that it loses the connection and I have to reboot to get it back. I'm assuming you've tried that but thought I'd say anyway.

totallyawesome Sun 11-Oct-09 17:55:02

ah - unbelievably, no. I've been fiddling about with the modem itself. I haven't rebooted the laptop itself. FFS - 1st Law of Broken Computers.

double blush

I know it's the weekend, but (honestly) there is a brain in there somewhere.

let's try switching the whole caboodle off.

totallyawesome Sun 11-Oct-09 18:09:56

Shona thanks for the tip... I am now operating wirelessly once more and can get off the floor and back onto the sofa

HURRAH

but whyohwhyohwhy did I not thing of rebooting?

why?

the shame!

RustyBear Sun 11-Oct-09 18:15:42

Sometimes the wireless connection shows up in the 'eject hardware safely' notification on the toolbar along with a USB drive or camera card you're trying to eject & it's easy to click the wrong one - I've known it happen with CD/DVD drives too. Generally they do reappear when you reboot.

shonaspurtle Sun 11-Oct-09 18:23:08

lol I once spent about 2 hrs wrecking all my settings with my totally clueless fiddling before I thought to try it.

Glad you're sorted now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now