Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

scary virus type thing when i was on facebook, norton says i'm fine, am i?

(12 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Thu 01-Oct-09 07:32:13

was shuffling my status and a whole page of virus check type stuff came up and I know it was the one i use so shut it down, then another box came up and i shut that down too. Did a quick noton scan and it says i'm fine. ANy other way to check?

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 01-Oct-09 08:20:38

Anyone?

mrspnut Thu 01-Oct-09 08:35:39

Run trend micro house call from their website.

Norton is useless, and is only sold because PC world and Currys get huge cashbacks from Symantecs.

BadgersPaws Thu 01-Oct-09 08:59:45

So the warnings came from Norton but that you ran it again and it told you it was clear?

Do you have any memory of what it was warning you about?

When was the last time you updated Norton? A virus checker is only as good as it's last update...

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 01-Oct-09 09:32:45

Thanks guys.

It was not a norton warning. Its on auto update will duble check.

It was bacasue asking me to download virus protection and asking me to click on it. Wasn't a small box a full page.

Never heard of trend micro?

mrspnut Thu 01-Oct-09 09:51:34

Trend Micro have been going for 20 years, they mostly do business support as well as offering the same protection to home users.

They are much better than Norton.

BadgersPaws Thu 01-Oct-09 10:16:48

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an "advert" from someone trying to get you to either download anti-virus software you don't need or something more malicious....

If you know you've got Norton then ignore any virus warnings that don't come from Norton.

I'm not totally sure what Norton covers but I'd suggest running something to check your machine for malware (programs installed on your machine that don't do what they claim to do but instead might spy on you or make adverts pop up).

Ad-Aware is very good for this, you can download it for free from here:
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/adawarefree.php

I used to use if back in the day when I had my own personal PC and I thought it was really rather useful.

BadgersPaws Thu 01-Oct-09 10:19:54

PS: Just to clarify that although I'm suggesting you should run checks for malware you might very well be in the clear.

There are a lot of adverts out there on the internet that go to a lot of effort to look like Windows applications scanning your machine and telling you you've got a virus. And they are just adverts, nothing wrong with your machine at all.

It's quite funny to see something pretending to be Windows pop up and tell you you're infected when you're running on a Mac.....

PurpleEglu Thu 01-Oct-09 10:20:36

Don't download the software. It is a virus pretending to be antivirus. I have had this problem before.

The one I had was called PersonalAntivirus.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 01-Oct-09 12:17:58

Fab thanks folks, thought it was either an ad or a virus but wanted to be sure. Knew someon here would know. Just really confused me as was in the middle of using an app i have used for ages.

BadgersPaws Thu 01-Oct-09 12:24:16

There's every chance that it was just "one of those things" that some web site or other popped up as an advert.

However just to be safe do check for Malware on your PC using something you have, Ad-Aware (see below) or some other equivalent.

WebDude Thu 01-Oct-09 13:24:53

The Trend Micro HouseCall is certainly worth a (free!) go too...

See http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now