Talk

Advanced search

my computer keeps shutting down - can anyone tell me why?

(7 Posts)
addictedtomn Wed 30-Sep-09 17:44:52

the computer just shuts down and re-starts itsself with out me pressing anything. i could be reading or posting on mn, typing in windows, searching google. it doesnt matter what i do it just shuts down and its really starting to annoy me. this is the 3rd time i've written out this message because the computer just shuts down. some times it will shut down before its even started up!

its not me pressing buttons as the box thing that turns it on is over there <points to the other side of the room> and i dont think its a virus as we have reallly good protection on here.

so anyone got any ideas??

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 30-Sep-09 17:47:08

could be the fan?

addictedtomn Wed 30-Sep-09 17:51:51

that would mean it was over heating right?

i thought that might have been the case when it was doing it yesterday but i only turned the computer on 10 minutes ago and its been off since 12.30.

Earlybird Wed 30-Sep-09 17:52:06

my laptop did that, and it seemed to be related to overheating (so the computer would turn off) caused by too much dust inside the computer.

It was solved by giving the computer a good 'spray' with the 'air in a can' aerosol spray. I would spray extra on keyboard and on air circulation fans on bottom side of laptop. I found I needed to do it at least once a month.

addictedtomn Wed 30-Sep-09 18:00:35

oooo... i bet dh hasnt dusted the inside in a while, i'll try that thanks earlybird

Geocentric Wed 30-Sep-09 18:01:50

Mine did that too. I had the fan replaced, no probs now.

addictedtomn Wed 30-Sep-09 19:17:19

i think i've solved the problem now. it seems that it wasnt plugged in properly blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now