Talk

Advanced search

Anyone use/recommend free anti-virus/firewall type stuff? Ours has expired and the crunch is upon us...

(10 Posts)
SardineQueen Tue 29-Sep-09 20:59:14

That says it all really! I know there is free stuff out there, but DH says to be very careful! So i thought I'd ask you clever lot what you use smile

bumpybecky Tue 29-Sep-09 21:06:31

AVG and Zone Alarm

Tee2072 Tue 29-Sep-09 21:11:28

What bumpybecky said.

thisisyesterday Tue 29-Sep-09 21:13:29

DP says AVG is well regarded

madrush Tue 29-Sep-09 21:14:19

We use Avast

MrsMerryHenry Tue 29-Sep-09 21:17:46

Kapersky is good. According to my computer geek bro, all the main software products were tested and came out with success rates (i.e. successfully prevented virus intrusions, etc) ranging from 40-95%. Scary, huh? Kaspersky came out tops, which is why I bought it (though my bro, being a PhD Computer Geek, doesn't actually use any anti-viral software at all - far too complex for me to understand the reasons).

Ah, just realised you're after free stuff. Oops! Hope someone can advise you better, though I'd be surprised if the free stuff is as good as the best-rating stuff you have to pay for.

Best of luck!

SardineQueen Tue 29-Sep-09 21:18:21

Gosh thanks!

Will go and google all of those for a look smile

SardineQueen Tue 29-Sep-09 21:49:44

MH x-posts smile

Our kaspersky has just run out - it has been very good and I particularly like the preview email thingy - but I had heard that there is excellent stuff out there for free and so though, well why not?!

MrsMerryHenry Wed 30-Sep-09 15:37:30

You know you can renew Kaspersky with about a 20% discount? I just bought 2 yrs' protection (anti-v and internet) for about £50. Good luck whatever you choose, hope you find something!

SardineQueen Wed 30-Sep-09 20:52:35

Thanks mrsMH will check that out too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now