Talk

Advanced search

eek. Dd has flipped my laptop screen 90 degrees

(12 Posts)
robino Sun 27-Sep-09 12:14:39

can only read it now if i hold laptop like a book. How do i change it back?

bran Sun 27-Sep-09 12:16:49

This happens all the time on here. DS did it to me years ago. There's a keystroke command to bring it back, but I can't remember it.

I'll do a quick search for you, I know it's tricky to do it yourself when you have to lean sideways to type and see the screen. grin

bran Sun 27-Sep-09 12:19:16

Here you go. Press Alt Gr (to the right of the space key) and the up arrow.

WebDude Sun 27-Sep-09 12:27:35

Agreed, seems a common happening, but that's perhaps because so many have fancy new laptops (I had never seen it before, using Windows XP for quite a few years, until looked at widescreen laptop).

Right-click on a spare part of the desktop, and you should see a menu with Graphics on.

Will have to find the laptop to see what the options are - one part shows 90, 180, 270 turns, and another option allows you to disable rotation.

robino Sun 27-Sep-09 12:36:32

thank you both! Tis indeed difficult with a sideways screen - hence typing last message on phone!

WebDude Sun 27-Sep-09 13:54:12

I could cope with the screen being at 90 degrees but co-ordinating moving mouse horizontally while seeing cursor going 'up' was rather headache inducing for me (like left/right turns using a mirror, but worse!)

ChilloHippi Sun 27-Sep-09 13:59:05

My DS flipped it 180 degrees once. Nightmare. I think it was ctrl and the up arrow that fixed it.

RustyBear Sun 27-Sep-09 20:19:04

Ctrl-Alt- Up arrow works too.
It's probably the question I answer most often on MN - I did once suggest that they put the solution at the top of the Geeky stuff topic page.

Toddlers do it by banging their fists down each side of the space bar - one gets Ctrl & Alt, the other lands on the arrow keys & the screen turns 90° (left/right arrow) or 180 if they get the down one.

With older children, like the junior school ones I teach ICT to, it's usually because they get Ctrl-Alt-Del wrong when logging on, or because they think the computer has frozen.

WebDude Sun 27-Sep-09 21:46:35

(Until I saw it here, I had never come across it before... says something about the increase in use of laptops, where the graphics seem to have been improved significantly... 'cos I have sometimes helped out on a radio show from Chicago that covers PC/Mac problems - and in a few years of that I have not heard of it, nor in previous 5+ years of PC support.)

RustyBear Sun 27-Sep-09 22:35:59

It's not just laptops webdude - you can do it on desktops too. My sister uses it a lot - she's a professional translator & she has a monitor which swivels to portrait orientation, which is better for long documents - she's had it for at least 5 years.

WebDude Mon 28-Sep-09 12:55:54

Yes, I remember there have been swivel screens, but it's surely down to the graphics adaptors and the facility seems to be more common in laptops, AFAICS, or maybe it's because I'm not the type to spend 150 to 300 pounds for a graphics card to add to my PC

RustyBear Mon 28-Sep-09 13:38:55

Well it worked on our previous suite computers, which were Elonex Prosentias bought in 2005, with Intel GMA 900 graphics. I don't know a lot about graphics cards/adaptors etc, but those machines were pretty crappy at handling images generally - the HP 7900s we have now are so much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now