Talk

Advanced search

That's it. Talk to me about Macs.

(30 Posts)
DidEinsteinsMum Wed 23-Sep-09 22:28:28

Seriously. Hate what microsoft has done post 2000 (yes i'm still running it) office. Hate the incapability of windows to work properally. Hate the stupidity of the way Vista is setup.

Need to either get lots of replacement parts for laptop (battery and replacement power lead) or replace it.

Dont really want another pc. Someone talk me through the differences between PC and Mac and what i would recognise (if anything) if I switched.

TIA

2Shoots Wed 23-Sep-09 22:32:08

I'vejust ordered a mac bookPro through dd's school.I've got the edu disc and also not paying vat

2Shoots Wed 23-Sep-09 22:37:00

should be £900 but 'monly paying £735

thedolly Wed 23-Sep-09 22:51:23

The mac looks gorgeous but iwork is not very intuitive if you've been brought up on microsoft office. Nothing Apple beats Excel IMO.

iloveshoesandbags Wed 23-Sep-09 23:09:38

I've had a mac for about a year and wouldn't go back to a pc unless I have to. Because of it's file management system and other software available I save a lot of time compared to a pc.
I also think the applications and design are very funky - the new keypoint software for presentations is just fab.
It is more expensive though.
It's great if you have other apple stuff like and i phone etc. but I've heard that some bespoke officey time software struggles on the mac so it depends what you want from it.

McDreamy Wed 23-Sep-09 23:10:31

Love it love it love it, would not go back to a pc!

singleWhiteMale Wed 23-Sep-09 23:29:01

thedolly - you don't have to give up microsoft office if you have a mac, there is a mac version.

It's ironic that you're saying "nothing Apple beats excel'. Excel was originally a macintosh exclusive, predating windows.

BadgersPaws Wed 23-Sep-09 23:30:33

Pros:
+ No viruses
+ A fundamentally more secure Operating System
+ A slick and polished user interface even on comparatively underpowered machines.
+ Apple's own software is great on the Mac, everything links together really nicely.
+ It won't come installed with dozens of pieces of rubbish software bloating up your machine and slowing it down.
+ You don't get cheaply built Macs, they're all very decent machines.
+ There are a number of options when it comes to running Windows or Windows based programs on your Mac.

Cons:
+ You can't get a cheap Mac
+ There's lots more software for Windows
+ There are hardly any games for a Mac.
+ OS X is not as configurable and flexible as Windows

I think it's very much a horses for courses thing.

I work all day on a Windows PC and I prefer to do so. I'm a software developer and I need and like the flexibility and power that Windows offers.

When I get home I go onto my Mac. I battle against some of the quirks and clunkiness of Windows all day long and when it comes to doing my browsing, emails, photos, music and videos I want something that just works.

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 23-Sep-09 23:32:05

I want to be writing assignments, manipulating pictures (tend to shove into powerpoint and overlap in an arty lazy scrapbooker way) internet stuff. Will prob keep laptop if can save it for programming type bits dreams wistfully of having time to do programming

Inshort:
text documents
Presentations
Internetting reading Mnetting and email and cbeebies/nick junior games.
watcing dvd's
Tis about all.

TBH not found the recent versions very intuitive althoug grew up on office. Hence why thought about changing now.

JustCutAndPaste Wed 23-Sep-09 23:37:02

I agree with BadgersClaws above. I love my MacBook for many reasons.

Unfortunately on the Cons I would add that it has problems dealing with a PC-oriented network.

My dp set up our home network on his PC laptop and although I can connect to the internet, my MacBook hardly ever 'sees' our network storage system or the printer. This means if I want to print anything I have to take my MacBook over to the printer to physically connect them together. And if I want to store anything on our external system I have to e-mail it to dp or use a USB memory stick. Most of the time these things don't bother me but sometimes it is quite annoying.

McDreamy Wed 23-Sep-09 23:40:09

I have to say cutandpaste that we have a similar set up with a pc being the main home computer. My mac automatically picked up the network and our wireless printer.

BadgersPaws Wed 23-Sep-09 23:42:00

I use an older version of iWork and I'm very happy with it. It's not quite as powerful as Office but it's so much easier to use, well in my opinion anyway.

You can program on a Mac and you can do it very well. In fact you even get the complete Apple development environment free, compare that to the small fortune you'll pay for a complete copy of Visual Studio on Windows.

Eclipse, the Open Source development tool which supports a number of languages, is also available for free and that's pretty good too.

So I'm not saying that you can't program on a Mac, just that for serious development I prefer the gritty nuts and bolts level of control that Windows offers you.

JustCutAndPaste Wed 23-Sep-09 23:45:49

Might be our router then, rather than the PC. It's a Netgear one. I've had a look on various forums and have seen lots of people having similar problems.

So perhaps I should just be telling DidEinsteinsMum that I love my MacBook but not to get a Netgear router.

McDreamy Wed 23-Sep-09 23:47:25

Maybe........I'm not computer clever enough to know - which is why I love my mac, it does clever for me grin

MrAnchovy Thu 24-Sep-09 00:30:16

Nothing wrong with Netgear routers (wireless or otherwise), they are probably the best domestic brand.

Anyway routers operate at a lower level than the protocols that link computers and printers. Blaming the router for this is a bit like saying your new car won't fit into the garage because it runs on diesel - the old petrol one was fine!

On the Mac vs Windows question, I regularly use Windows Vista, XP, Mac OS-X (Tiger) and Ubuntu and I would say that there is no overall winner for me, except as BadgersPaws says, for serious development, I find Windows has the most productive apps, namely:

Beyond Compare for remote directory synchronisation

TortoiseCVS/SVN/Git for version control

These are simply the best at what they do on any platform, and they are only on Windows.

I could never get on with universal IDEs, although I am going to look at Eclipse again now it seems to have matured: this may change my views.

Ramble ramble ramble... go to bed.

DidEinsteinsMum Thu 24-Sep-09 00:38:19

blush ok. so the assumption there is that i can high level program. Nope, got a nice little flash programming thingy and html programming software that i like because it's easy to use.

Tis afraid you lost me. might have to pull out the old translator link for beginner geeks. blush feel free to come back and explain it to me.

Mostly interested in the basic software differences from a user point of view having only once used a mac that that was to look at a webpage.

BadgersPaws Thu 24-Sep-09 09:10:08

Software differences?

If you can possibly the best thing to do is to get down to an Apple Store and take one for a test drive. Safari (the web browser), iTunes and iLife (iMovies, iPhoto, iWeb and iDVD) all come pre-installed and will probably cover most of the things you'll want to do day to day so try and have a look at them.

In terms of how it "feels" compared to Windows, well it all feels very integrated. It's easy to make a DVD up from your movies, with your photos on the menus and music from your iTunes library.

The user interfaces all feel very slick and polished. Windows XP looks ugly in comparison and while the upper versions of Vista try for a similar effect it feels crude and distracting.

I think that basically I enjoy using my Mac to get things done, which is something that I just can't say about Windows.

However if you're one of those people who's likes installing lots of games and utilities from the internet to have a play with then you'll have problems with your Mac. Yes those sorts of things exist but there is just so much more software out there for Windows.

You'll also hit some "snags" with Office Documents and you'll come to realise how many people either email them around or have web sites where you download them from (a real pet hate of mine).

TextEdit, which comes with your Mac, will do a pretty decent job of opening up most documents but things won't look quite right.

You can get better applications either for free (OpenOffice) or bought (iWork) but even they will still throw the occasional wobble opening up Office Documents.

You can then go and spend a lot of money getting Office for your Mac but personally I really don't think it's worth it.

Basically for most day to day tasks the Mac will come with what you need and you'll the applications far better than what a PC will come with.

DidEinsteinsMum Thu 24-Sep-09 20:31:03

Thank you Badger that is very comprehensible. I shall make the effort to do that when ds is next at his dad's. Your information has really got me thinking. Especially as i hate what microsoft did to windows when they turned it into vista. So I suspect a play will be the only way that i am going to really know if it is the way to do.

As for not getting office documents open. well it doesnt happen on my pc anyway and the convert has corrupted it. I hate 2007 verison of office and its stupid extra x in its file extensions. angry

Role on half term!

Remember Windows 7 comes out next month and is meant to be a lot better than Vista.

Ninjacat Sun 27-Sep-09 12:41:29

To lose the x in office just save as and go for an older version. I send office files between home (mac) and work (pc) with no problem.

All my creative work I do on a Mac.

As for Safari I prefer to use Firefox as my internet browser of choice and that is down loadable.

Macs are more expensive though.

BadgersPaws Sun 27-Sep-09 13:25:27

Windows 7 does seem to be a whole lot better than Vista but it is still Windows and therefore has both it's advantages and disadvantages.

I don't think that it's going to significantly change the Mac vs. PC decision. The pros and cons I gave below will remain pretty much as they are.

I'd also be very hesitant to use any version of Windows until it's reached it's first Service Pack.

So if you really are fed up with Windows and want to buy a new computer now then I wouldn't wait to go and have a look at a Mac.

funkyanna37 Mon 28-Sep-09 22:30:12

From a work point of view I'm sure I'll always have to use a pc as they are the norm in the types of offices I work in...
For home though I use a Mac as I use it for 3 things - internet, photos and editing, music... Theres no hassle with virus's and its so easy - everything just seems to work straightaway without having to spend time setting it up
(e.g. I got my macbook in virtually the same week as my friend - I was up and running within an hour, whereas he spent a week getting his email accounts and settings working!)
So have a think about what you actually want the pc for... what kind of programs - will you want to share stuff with others - and hopefully you'll naturally be drawn to one or the other...

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 28-Sep-09 22:33:04

Isn't that funny. Couldn't get Netgear to work either on my MacBook, but Belkin is fine.

Have always had Macs. They make more sense, and infinitely more stylish smile

Quattrocento Mon 28-Sep-09 22:37:53

We run three pcs and a mac off a netgear router. We are not at all techy so the set up has to be idiot proof. It works all the time.

blithedance Mon 28-Sep-09 22:47:08

Do you think a Mac would make a better family computer, being more stable and intuitive. We have primary school age children who are just getting into Internet homework etc, we are not a big gaming family but I want to get a family desktop rather than having to fiddle about setting up my laptop every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now