Talk

Advanced search

help! New ISP and PC connects to Internet fine but laptop won't, not even with ethernet cable

(22 Posts)
flier Mon 21-Sep-09 21:04:38

Where do I start? It was working to begin with, until I deleted the old ISP connection. We got a new router supplied by the new ISP and, sice I deleted the old "Orange" connection on the laptop I can't connect to th einternet at all.

flier Mon 21-Sep-09 21:29:02

I should add that I want to be able to use it wirelessly and of course this won't work either. It worked perfectly with the "Orange" livebox router

WebDude Mon 21-Sep-09 21:38:35

First off, you would need to use the correct 'SSID' being put out by the new ISP router.

Sometimes wireless is disabled (because unless you enable encryption, some neighbour on a laptop could use your connection to download music etc... by disabling the wireless your router can only be used with a cable, until you go through the settings {and hopefully use WPA encryption to stop nosey neighbours getting onto your router}

The SSID is sometimes the name of the router manufacturer, eg Netgear, so with a change of ISP, your laptop will still be looking for 'Orange' or whatever ('zoom' maybe) and not detect /attempt to connect to, the new router.

So you will probably need to use a cable just to check the settings in the router (and can make sure that you can access the internet too, while the cable is in, so you aren't chasing around worrying about wifi if the internet still has a glitch)

flier Mon 21-Sep-09 21:44:35

but thats the point, webdude; I can't access the internet even using the cable

WebDude Mon 21-Sep-09 22:02:52

Apologies - only just saw that you mentioned cable in the thread subject.

So, first off, can you tell me what router it is (just that it's easier to explore what the thing can do without hunting completely in the dark - a make and model would really help!)

Second, can you get the router login screen / main menu OK ?

Third, I assume your login details are saved in it, something that may look like an e-mail address for the username ( na123456@ISPname )
and a password you chose, or the ISP allocated.

flier Mon 21-Sep-09 22:08:28

It is a Zyxel supplied by the post office and I've just been logged into the router and been nosying around. - is that what you mean by the router login? I did see some of my details in there, yes.

WebDude Mon 21-Sep-09 23:52:37

Great - so your PC and the router are working OK together.

Next thing to find is a status page, or ADSL status perhaps. (Have had a Zyxel router, but generally avoid wireless so don't know how similar your options are to the one I've previously seen)

Some routers have a built-in diagnostic test that shows pass / fail for different stages going from getting a connection at local exchange to logging into the ISP to having a fully working connection...

BadgersPaws Tue 22-Sep-09 10:31:03

If I'm understanding the situation correctly one of your computers is able to get to the Internet via your new router but your laptop isn't.

Furthermore the laptop can connect to the routers own web pages and can see the configuration of the router.

Is that right?

What Operating Systems are on the two computers?

Does the working PC connect to the router by a cable too?

Can you compare the internet settings of the laptop and the machine that does work? For example on Windows XP go to the Internet Options of the Control Panel, shift to the connections tab and check the LAN settings.

Also if you're on XP open up the Network Connections option on the Control Panel, look under "LAN or High Speed Internet" for a connection that says "connected", you might have more than one. Double click on it and it should bring up a status window, click on the Support Tab and a working connection should then display the address type and some other information. Other than the IP Address itself I'd expect all the other options to match the same details on the PC that works.

flier Tue 22-Sep-09 11:02:02

thanks badgerspaws, I'll try this out tonight when DH brings the laptop home

BadgersPaws Tue 22-Sep-09 13:30:13

I might be jumping the gun somewhat but could you saying that your H will bring the laptop home that it's a work computer?

If so then I'd guess that the most likely problem is the proxy server that it might be set up to use.

Before trying the other things below try this (presuming that you've got Windows XP, if it's Vista it should still be somewhat similar).

Go to the Control Panel and select Internet Options (or from Internet Explorer select Internet Options from the Tools menu.

Click the LAN Settings button.

There should be an area labelled "Proxy Server", if the "Use a Proxy Server etc. etc." option is selected then uncheck it. You shouldn't need to change the values entered in the boxes, just make sure the checkbox isn't selected.

Click OK and OK again to get out.

If the box was checked then the next time H is in the office he should go back in and select it.

It's also possible that the box is checked but you won't be able to uncheck it, IT departments often lock things like that down so users can't change them.

If it is locked there might still be ways around it...

If there is still no joy then check and compare the other options on that LAN settings page with your PC that is working.

flier Tue 22-Sep-09 18:30:56

thanks badgerspawa, it is a works computer but I already checked the proxy server, the box isn unchecked. My gut feeling is that this is something to do with security, as the laptop worked fine when with Orange; in fact we did get onto the internet on th elaptop for the first week, but only in the same room as the router, it wouldn't work anywhere else in the house when before, with orange, it would. Now, of course, it doesn't work at all sad

WebDude Tue 22-Sep-09 20:07:16

Being nosey - how are you posting on MN ?

Is there a status page on the router that shows whether it is connecting OK.

If it's not connecting, is there something marked as 'system log' which shows whether there's an issue over the password (eg 'authentication error' - in which case it might be the password is set incorrectly)

flier Tue 22-Sep-09 22:09:45

posting on the pc, its the laptop we're having the problem with.
dh didn't bring lappy home from work tonight, so can't play around tonight, unfortunately

WebDude Tue 22-Sep-09 23:43:51

So the PC is connected through the router in question, internet working through the router, but laptop not working (wireless or ethernet cable) ...

If that's the case, then things I can think of are:

1) laptop having setting for IP fixed but not valid for the router

2) DNS settings still point to Orange IPs

3) on Internet Options the 'connections' setting assumes you have some dial-up connection (though not the case now) and possibly needs changing to 'never dial a connection'

I wouldn't expect (1) or (2) to be the case without you knowing you had previously adjusted them. You can get to Internet Options via Control Panel or MS Internet Explorer (Tools / Options I think)

flier Wed 23-Sep-09 10:04:41

thanks webdude,
3. It is def not set up as a dial up connection.

BadgersPaws Wed 23-Sep-09 10:19:21

If the laptop can still see the routers web configuration page then quickly try going here:
http://212.58.226.75/

Did anything come up?

flier Wed 23-Sep-09 11:04:46

sorry badgerspaws dh has the laptop at work with him so can't try it

WebDude Thu 24-Sep-09 04:03:23

Not set up as dial-up, but now even more curious about what the connection ("Orange")was that you deleted (presumably that was on "Network Connections").

flier Thu 24-Sep-09 07:56:52

yes, on wireless network connections

BadgersPaws Thu 24-Sep-09 08:49:59

It's sounding like the Orange network connection probably had the usual generic settings for a network connection, which will work on most routers.

What's left behind, the work connection, probably has some settings that are right for the company network but won't work elsewhere.

When you get the laptop home do try that test with the address that's just numbers that I suggested.

Then open up a DOS window on both the laptop (Start/Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt I think, not on Windows right now) and enter the follow command:
ipconfig /all

Look for any differences in the numbers that each one gives for each setting.

In particular look for entries labelled "DNS Servers", on the laptop I think it's the ones listed under "Etherner adapter" that we'll be interested in.

flier Thu 24-Sep-09 09:49:08

will do thanks again badgerspaws

flier Sat 26-Sep-09 13:32:29

proxy server!!! Thanks everybody for your help blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now