Talk

Advanced search

While I'm on the subject ...

(13 Posts)
mrsmike Sun 20-Sep-09 18:51:04

does anyone get this happening - same laptop as I was whingeing about earlier with Vista on it, have put Microsoft office 2007 on, and every time I go to open a previously created file, it acts like it is installing it for the first time, says gathering information or something, instead of just opening the file. Is something wrong???? Thanks geeky people!

mrsmike Mon 21-Sep-09 20:46:16

does no one else get this problem then?

WebDude Mon 21-Sep-09 21:44:06

Symptoms sound odd - as if the installation didn't work fully. Might be an idea to see if there's a 'repair installation' option from the Windows control panel

Sorry, don't have Vista, but have seen this on XP Control Panel / Add/Remnove programs, and assume similar might be available... if it's not an option there, inserting the Office CD may give that option. Either way - if you have lots of Office templates etc, make a copy onto a USB stick before touching anything!

(Don't use MS Office either, but sometimes remote access to clients in S Wales and Cheshire to sort out Office problems!)

DidEinsteinsMum Mon 21-Sep-09 21:49:00

IME its to do with the programming of office 2007 which saves the files in .docx format which is not compatable with the eearlier .doc formats. It acts like it is installing it because it is converting the programming format. When then save i believe (could be worng at this bit) that it is then saved in the .docx format.

If you want to open and 2007 file on a 2003 or earlier computer you have to use the converter facility in word 2007 to revert it to a .doc format which is compatable with the older programming language set up.

Any clearer?

In short 2007 dif to 2003 and earlier. Like installing as it changes 2003 and earlier to 2007 style. Need to reopen in 2003 and earlier save as a 2003 file in 2007 options.

Its a PITA

mrsmike Mon 21-Sep-09 22:22:33

Thanks webdude, will have a look for that.
Einsteinsmum - I'm not opening files that have been created in earlier versions of MS office - they've all been created using only this version - so what you said might not apply for me? Thanks though.

nannynick Mon 21-Sep-09 23:13:26

Could be worth running windowsupdate.microsoft.com (Windows Update) to see if it has updates for Office 2007, as if you installed from CD then those files may be quite old and Microsoft may have modified some bits.

WebDude Tue 22-Sep-09 02:06:08

Ah, good point, DidEinsteinsMum, regarding .docx

Agree it must be a PITA but had only seen it in respect of a client who had been sent a .docx file and needed to print/ read it before submitting a tender for some work...

In his case getting the converter software meant that it could be opened, and I then saved a copy as a .doc for him so he could get on with preparing the tender document ASAP (he had to send printed copies and copies on 2 USB sticks the next day)

So, are you saying that once you have Office 2007 on the machine, for every old (2003) file it does an automatic conversion to 2007 format ?

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 22-Sep-09 17:40:04

Yep. But i think i might give you the option of saving in either 2007 or 2003 format depending on whether or not you have opened a 2003 file

Its a major a PITA for me as i am running office 2000 and cant open .docx format and there appears to be yet another sodding software conflict on my computer which wont let me install the converter.

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 22-Sep-09 17:40:34

Yep. But i think i might give you the option of saving in either 2007 or 2003 format depending on whether or not you have opened a 2003 file

Its a major a PITA for me as i am running office 2000 and cant open .docx format and there appears to be yet another sodding software conflict on my computer which wont let me install the converter.

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 22-Sep-09 17:42:12

mnet going mad again gave me code rather then posting my message and then rehitting post posts it twice hmm

WebDude Tue 22-Sep-09 18:52:05

Good this Microsoft stuff, innit !

Sorry to read of problem blocking use of the converter. Real nuisance when there's no clear reason as to what's causing such a conflict.

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 22-Sep-09 19:07:17

Umm. I have softwear conflicts all over the place. I cant run windows media and have a jukebox program that insists on loading up refuses to run. It drives me mad. I think its to do with other software i am running and the configuration and versions of software. I am reluctant to upgrade to new versions and hate with a passion the 2003 + versions of office. I like my old school hot key routes and dont like the new ones so can never figure how come my document is trying to save when i havent told it to. I am seriously considering going mac when i have to replace this laptop. <sulks>wink

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 23-Sep-09 20:25:57

Right Had a brain wave today. Check what format you are saving the files in. Even if you create the file in windows 2007 if you save it in 2003 it will always try to upgrade when re-opened in 2007.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now