Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Work firewall getting in my way

(9 Posts)
bunjies Thu 17-Sep-09 15:54:51

I want to download BBC iplayer on to my work laptop but when I tried to do it at work the network firewall stopped the download. If I connected my laptop to my dial up internet connection at home and tried the download there would I still have a firewall problem or would it only kick in when I'm connected to the work network?

AMumInScotland Thu 17-Sep-09 16:48:49

The network firewall would only get involved while you're in the office. But your laptop might (should?) be set up to stop you from downloading that kind of thing anyway, since if you can download things, then you're very likely to download viruses etc and/or clag up your laptop with tons of non-work related material.

But if you try at home, you might manage it, depending how they have set up the laptop.

bunjies Thu 17-Sep-09 16:54:30

You're probably right AMIS but I'll give it a try anyway.

RustyBear Thu 17-Sep-09 16:55:47

To download &/or install software you would normally need to be an administrator on your laptop, it's pretty common for companies not to allow this. Can you normally install programs, eg from a CD?

bunjies Thu 17-Sep-09 17:00:58

I've never tried RustyBear. I get the feeling this whole exercise is going to be a waste of time.

cheeseytoastie Thu 17-Sep-09 17:14:46

If your work have banned downloads then it's because they don't want people to put their own software onto their work laptop as most numpties will install any crap. If they are this cautious they probably also have a monitoring tool that will alert them to you having installed software yourself..

WebDude Thu 17-Sep-09 17:47:20

On top of that, there may well be blocks on the ports used for streams from the BBC. I don't use iPlayer very often, but I know that RealPlayer can use a number of port numbers (and using those could be blocked anyway).

There are sometimes ways to completely avoid name and port blocks, which is how teens and others at schools sometimes go onto sites supposedly 'blocked', however, I'm no expert on them, and wouldn't post the info here anyway.

Is there some policy document on use of IT and the internet at work ? Installing software is likely to break some clause, if it's not part of your work, but if it's not forbidden to use a work machine for an audio/video clip from the BBC, they might well allow the install / do the install. After all, it might be in a news page about something very relevant to the OP's work.

bunjies Fri 18-Sep-09 09:49:06

I've decided it would be too much of a faff to try this as I certainly don't want to get into trouble. Thanks for all the messages though.

WebDude Fri 18-Sep-09 10:29:55

Even though you have chosen not to, in this instance, it's probably a 'good idea' for anyone either using computers in an office environment, or lent equipment for work use, to check out company policy on IT usage.

While I'd always suggest someone get a free e-mail account for personal mail (rather than give anyone in a social situation their work e-mail), mainly for the individual's privacy (there are commonly policies saying that all work mail can be examined - whether for compliance {eg giving a client advice, and the e-mail may become part of a dispute later} or simply to cover for someone being unavailable because of holiday, sick leave, etc, and someone else needing to see what comes in.

When it comes to using the internet, all too many businesses are vague about what is allowed. Clearly, there could / would be a ban on anything which disrupts the work environment (some online 'game' for example, if it has sound effects, or playing music/ radio though with headphones, I'd expect it to be OK), or viewing obscene material.

However, what one is allowed to do during a coffee break, or lunch hour, needs to be defined. I'm remember someone went to an industrial tribunal after being sacked for booking her holiday during her lunch hour. Unfortunately, despite no clear policy, she lost the case.

(Just did a check and it was in June 1999. Still 'fresh' in my memory. Oh dear! I didn't remember her name, however - a quick search for 'Lois Franxhi' will find the story on the BBC website.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now